1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

T.A. making/taking lesson

Discussion in 'Primary' started by legoearth, Jun 11, 2011.

1. legoearth

legoearth New commenter

Hi,
    I am a T.A. in year 6 and a few years ago a colleague and I were asked to devise an art project for our year group to fit in with our creative curriculum. This was very succesful and we have taught the lessons,three of them, in our class for the last few years. This year we had a new young teacher who, despite respectful,caring support has squeezed us gradually further and further away.to the point where she sat and took notes whilst I taught this years lesson and said at the end that she would be teaching it next year and has taken my folder of plans and copied them! She hates art and any of the messy stuff to do with it.
    It's been a difficult year for all of us settling in to a new routine and new ways of doing things but this seems like the final nail in the coffin. Art is our strong point and we have had our skills called upon all around the school. We used to do wonderful displays with the childrens work,now it's all printed off the internet ,laminated and pinned up before we get to look at it! it's a lower ability class that struggle all year but flourish with creativity and their confidence shines through.
    I feel really pee'd off that I've had my lesson taken off me,that I did teach really well. What do you think?

2. So you are cross with a teacher wanting to teach a lesson in his/her classroom?

3. I think legoearth has got a fair point. If the teacher doesn't enjoy teaching creative lessons then why shouldn't someone else teach it, especially if she has planned it all. I'd snatch your hand off if you were my TA, I'm useless at all arty things as is my TA *neither of us deny it), fancy coming to do my displays for me :)

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I think the teacher has every right to teacher his/her own class but should plan their own lessons not take over the OPs

5. Because the teacher is paid to deliver the teaching. Whether or not the teacher enjoys teaching the lesson is irrevelant. I know a teacher that does not enjoy Numeracy - where do you draw the line? There are systems in place (CPD) to develop confidence and competence in teaching.

6. legoearth

legoearth New commenter

Oh dear! I have come over as the worst T.A. in the world!!! Also the worst wanna be teacher. believe me i'm not and I certainly could not do all the paperwork stuff that you all do! I can teach though and the lesson was certainly not ****. The objective was and always has been acheived,I know,I set it! The result is an enormous sculpture that is displayed in the front entrance to the school,each year it is added to. We have had two heads since the project started and both love the work the children produce. I suppose my gripe is very childish,it's my lesson and I want it taught properly!!!! (stamps foot) I have a sense of humour too ( ; I am the worlds best self critic and have taken down many a display I have done that isn't perfect. As an experienced TA I have worked with many different teachers and have always been fully aware that they are 'the boss'. She is not exactly new to me or my colleague ,she did a year as a TA in year 6 with us before she did her NQT year with us! She took a year at another school before coming back to us. I absolutely do know my place but this has been the most difficult year I have ever spent in my school. I want things to work and I suppose this lesson, that I look forward to every year is the last straw. I'm more than a pencil sharpener! I will blow my own trumpet! I am a valued and respected member of the school staff,i'm a Jill of all trades and mistress of many. I have taught literacy lessons well and maths hahahah ****.
    There, rant over. It's amazing what PMT makes you come out with!

7. Is she shy? I really hated having a TA when I first started teaching as I was shy!
    Maybe she is jealous or she feels that you do a better job than her and she is annyed or ashamed.
    TBH I would let you teach the lesson, however I feel i would probably do it better! [​IMG]

8. legoearth

legoearth New commenter

I think it incredibly patronising of you to do this! Would it not have been more productive for you both to have offered some constructive critisism and guidance for the next time you needed them to ASSIST you!

9. Some really take offence when criticism given
    Some of them have not even been able to put up backing paper properly.
    Or they come and show me how they taught the children to do certain mathematics a different/easy way!
    Some try to use strong armed discipline in my class and punich children for things i find acceptable.
    I give TA's my planning each week but some of them seem incapable of understanding it, I have enough work to do without explaining to my TA what paralellogram or coordinate means or how adverbs are used. Some TA's don't listen to the teacher input so when it comes to helping the children they have not listened.
    Do not get me wrong - I love some TAs but i just cant get on with the **** ones! It is not my job to constantly monitor and train them!

10. legoearth

legoearth New commenter

She is very insecure. How do I help her overcome this? I've tried everything in the book,believe me. i don't try to take over but I tentitively offer suggestions when she struggles.It's like treading on egg shells. I'm sure the first part of of your post is correct but i'm at my whits end about what to do!
    The last part, I strongly disagree[​IMG]

11. give her time?
    ask HT to have a word about you leading some lessons?

12. legoearth

legoearth New commenter

Oh dear,I understand now. Who employed these people?? I think they used to call them 'helpers'. I am a proffesional TA and take great pride in doing my job well.
    I'll be gentle with my teacher,really I will,but how long before I voice my opinion to SMT because I think she will colapse under the pressure of her own ego soon.
    IF YOU RECOGNISE YOURSELF,WE ONLY WANT WHAT IS BEST FOR THE <u>CHILDREN</u> AND YOU ,NOT OURSELVES!!!!!!

13. Some of them have not even been able to put up backing paper properly.
    Aha that sounds like me again, have I actually been your TA Rob ?
    I give TA's my planning each week but some of them seem incapable of
    understanding it, I have enough work to do without explaining to my TA
    what paralellogram or coordinate means or how adverbs are used. Some
    TA's don't listen to the teacher input so when it comes to helping the
    children they have not listened.

Whilst it is true that not all TAs have the subject knowledge required, there are an awful lot of us that do! I know it is impossible to accurately gauge someone's true character from a few posts on here, but you do come across as a little intimidating, if your TAs feel unable to ask you for help you will not get the best out of them. It is not your job to train them, true, but it is your job to manage them effectively in your clasroom if you feel a TA is underperforming what do you do ? Put up with it and pray you won' t get them again next year, or work with them to improve their practice? Do you teach in year 5/6 by the way?

14. Some
    TA's don't listen to the teacher input so when it comes to helping the
    children they have not listened.

The best TAs learn by listening to and learning from the CT, also if I find that my subject knowledge is too limited I make it my responsibility to find out what I need to know in my own time. I am sure a lot of TAs do this.

15. I'm a new teacher in Y6 and my TA is very possesive about what she teaches and what she doesn't and I have to admit it's been very tricky. Unlike your teacher, I'm actually very good at creative and love messy, but all of that aside, there can be a real issue for a teacher coming into an environment where the TA has a great relationship with the children already based on (in my case, I obviously don't know about yours!) her doing all the 'fun' stuff with them. My TA gets to do cooking and painting. I get to do maths and literacy. My TA gets to work with 6 children at a time (she won't work with more as she says she can't cope and I agree having tried her with 8). I get to teach the rest of the class. My TA does things at the pace that suits her, and always has time to chat to the children about whatever they want to chat about irrespective of what the clock says. I have to worry about pace and coverage and make sure I don't step on colleague's toes by overrunning or annoy parents by being late out. You can see that in terms of creating good relationships with the class, sometimes it can feel as if everything is against you as a new teacher!!

16. You are the boss. Its up to you what you teach and what they TA covers.
    Make some time to chat to your children. I chat to my children in the mornings and often during lessons if something comes up of interest you can stop the lesson and discuss it. If you do not complete the lesson and meet the objective then you can always complete it the next day. In RE last week a discussion about angels arose.
    We had a discussion lasting 45 minutes about who believed in angels and why. What we thought about heaven and death. It was really enjoyable to find out the views of the children.
    Do you give your TA plans? You could give her a plan 5 mins doing a 10 mins doing b etc and at the end of the lesson ask her how she got on. If she says that she did not get far enough then tell her that she needs to speed up a bit.

I am not intimidating at all - the TA's come and ask me for advice etc and i am perfectly nice and well mannered. I just know that in some lessons it will be better for my TA to be doing independent reading with some children rather than supporting a group with class work. (SADLY)

17. Thank you - I wasn't really looking for advice though (I've solved a lot of these problems now!) - I was just trying to put across to the OP why it is difficult and why, even with supportive TAs (and I'm sure mine thinks she is) it isn't always easy being a new teacher with an experienced TA who likes to do all the art!

18. I am not intimidating at all - the TA's come and ask me for advice etc
    and i am perfectly nice and well mannered. I just know that in some
    lessons it will be better for my TA to be doing independent reading with
    some children rather than supporting a group with class work. (SADLY)

Hi, I am really sorry if I have offended you, it sounds like you normally have really good relationships with your TAs and you obviously don't want to upset them at all. If they aren't up to doing the tasks you want them to then you are left with little choice but find alternative jobs for them. I suppose just as teachers have strengths and weaknesses so do support staff, I am completely rubbish at anything arty but really confident with literacy and maths etc. It does seem very limiting for teachers when their support can't deliver planned activities or work with more than 6 pupils in a group.