1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

System for lunchtime duties at your school?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by rosaespanola, Apr 26, 2011.

1. rosaespanola

rosaespanola New commenter

What is the system for lunchtimes at your school - do all pupils have lunch at the same time? What happens about supervision/staff duties? How long is your lunchtime?
    What other duties to staff have to do at your school (break/before school/after school etc)?
    Our school is considering making some fairly drastic changes which a lot of staff object to, and I'd like to find out what happens in other schools. Thanks!

2. Secondary School, converting to Academy.
    All school together. No staff duties at lunchtime. Staff duties for 20 mins at break, and before/after school for 20 mins, once a week. Lunchtime averages 50 mins (different lengths on different days).

3. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

Large secondary comprehensive
    All have lunch at the same time. Staff duties are optional and paid (£12.50 + a lunch). All lunchtimes are one hour

4. lizgaskell

lizgaskell Occasional commenter

Lunches are all different: we have three sittings along with the students. Depends which year group you are teaching over lunch. Lunch is only 30 mins. Very complicated at firts but ok now. Do miss adult company though.[​IMG]
    Staf duties at lunch -unless SLT_ are paid and volunteered for.

5. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Large comprehensive.
    Full time staff have one day a week when they have to be on duty before and after school for 10 minutes, and during break.
    Lunch time duties done by paid support staff, teaching volunteers, SLT.
    Even if your school is becoming an academy, you should still have an adequate lunch break, although I suppose life could get tricky if they won't recognise your union.
    P

6. Large mixed secondary
    3 lunch sittings of 35mins - feel sorry for those who have 2nd lunch as they have a split lesson (lesson for 30mins then go to lunch(35mins) then return & do further 35 mins)
    All staff have to do one duty per week either before/after school or break
    Lunch duties opt to do - paid + free lunch (SMT have to do lunch & break most days)

7. Small Secondary
    Lunch is 45 minutes for all students and staff.
    SLT and LDMS (non teaching HOY) do lunch duty (cues/dining hall/outside) every day, with 2 paid lunchtime supervisors in the dining hall and 2 outside.
    Staff Duties - Every member of staff belongs to a duty team which is lead by a member of SLT. On their duty day, the member of staff does 10 minutes before school, break and 20 minutes after school in designated areas.
    No duties are paid for in addition to normal earnings.
    What drastic changes are being considered?

8. Christopher  Curtis

Christopher Curtis Occasional commenter

Victorian teachers have their working conditions protected by a federal award and an Enterprise Bargaining Agreement. The following sections are relevant to duty:

?1) Ordinary hours of duty for full-time employees are seventy-six hours a fortnight.?

?(2) (a) Unless otherwise agreed between the principal, as the Employer?s representative, and a teacher, a teacher shall be in attendance for a minimum of seven hours daily commencing no less than ten minutes before the morning pupil instructional session.?

?(4) Within the daily hours of attendance, teachers are entitled to a lunch period of not less than thirty minutes free from assigned duties.?

There used to be limit of 45 minutes on duty in a week, but tat appears to have gone, though sensible schools would maintain something like that.

My last school had a 25-muinute recess and a 50-minute lunch break. Full-time teachers were normally on duty for two 25-minute sessions a week, though some had 20-miniute before- or after-school sessions. To meet the requirement of 30 minutes for lunch free of duty in a 50-mijute lunch break, teachers chose their lunch duty on a day when they had period four or five free of classes, which became their lunch break, and they could not be given an extra (?cover?) in that time.

It could be argued that the 20 minutes before school was contrary to sub-section (2) above, but no one ever pushed it because the consequence would have been to count the start of the school day from a later time and thus make the official end of the school day later too, and teachers preferred to finish at 3.30pm, rather than 3.50pm.

I should add that Victorian schools do not provide meals to students, though they do have canteens (which used to be called tuckshops ? aahhh, the American influence!!!). That is their parents? job, so lunchtime supervision is not in eating halls, which basically do not exist here.

9. I know I'm only in an independent prep school, but at ours the children don't have a lunch break, they get 30min to each their lunch and then 30min of reading rest, where they sit and read in silence unless they have choir or orchestra practice etc... Half the main school eats first then does reading rest, the rest do reading rest then eat.
    Supervising reading rest or lunch is one of our duties, however on our timetable we are scheduled to have at least our legal 30min 'rest break', when lunch is being served to some element of the school.
    It was quite a relevation to me coming from a state school to find that the children didn't have a lunch break of any description, they get 2 breaks, one morning one afternoon which are 15-20min long. However 4 days a week they do sport either before or after lunch so have had a good run around - just in a structured way.

10. AdmiralNelson

AdmiralNelson New commenter

Smallish secondary (soon to be an Academy); lunch time 1 hour; SMT do all lunchtime duties; (staff are expected to contribute to enrichment/extension activities during some lunch times, and most do;) staff do no specific before/after school (or break time) duties, but are expected to be around.

11. Large split site indie.

Lunch is a complicated business. 3 different periods. Runs from 11.50 -1.30 but kids get max 1 hour. Sometimes, if you're lucky, you end up with a massive lunch break. Dining hall is stuffed to the gills though. Duties tend to fall, as a matter of pragmatism, to those who are based primarily at one site or the other as they are then not travelling. I have escaped as a result of having a weird timetable! These are normal duties. No additional remuneration is provided.

12. madenglishgirl

madenglishgirl New commenter

Large mixed comprehensive - 45 min lunch and they all have lunch at the same time. Lunch duties are optional and for the whole of the 45 mins, paid at £15/h. I volunteered to do 3 lunch duties a week, but 2 of these coincide with my compulsory break duties so like today, I didn't sit down all day as I was teaching 5 lessons as well.....not good!
    My last school was fab - 30 mins split lunch (Y7-8 first lunch and Y9-11 second lunch) it did mean that the lower school had 2 lessons in the afternoon and the upper school only had one - it was a bit of a pain trying to remember which lunch you were on!

13. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

Small catholic comprehensive school. 15 minute break in morning, 1 hour lunchtime. Thanks to private catering company we don't serve food after 40 mins of lunchtime.

Very interested to hear of the varied lunchtime arrangements possible. From what I hear of elsewhere, the staggered lunchtime risks many issues. Our main issue, though, is that we bus kids in from hours away, so lunchtime is the only time students can realistically take part in any extra-curricular activities. Shame!

14. rosaespanola

rosaespanola New commenter

All very interesting! The changes I mentioned at my school are as follows:
    Currently all staff do 2 x 15 mins break duty a week. Lunchtime duties (40 min lunch) are done by SLT and by staff who volunteer and are paid for doing it. We've been informed that SLT have discovered school is breaking the law by paying teachers to do lunch duties, so we can no longer do this.The proposed plan is to reduce lunch from 40 to 30 mins and have split lunchtimes where KS4 & 5 have it 12.30-1 and KS3 have it 1.30-2. All staff will have 1 duty day per week, on which they'll do 10 mins before school, 15 mins at break, 10 mins at lunchtime and 10 mins after school. The 10 minutes gained from reducing lunchtime will be turned into a longer afternoon registration during which we will do PSHCE type activities (no mention has been made of who will be planning this).
    All this means that not only will we only have 20 minutes lunchtime on our duty day (and let's face it, since when do teachers ever get to spend all of lunchtime having lunch anyway, with packing up from one lesson, getting ready for the next and dealing with any issues that have come up in the morning. We struggle to eat our lunch with 40 min lunch, let alone 20), our working hours will be increased by 65 minutes a week. What do people think of this? The union reps in school are obviously aware of all this, but there have been no meetings to discuss it or anything. Most people I've spoken to are very unhappy with it, but we're not sure what we can do or if we even have a case for objecting to it.

15. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

As long as teachers volunteer and are paid for it then they can do lunchtime duties. They're breaking your contract of employment by getting you to do any supervision as part of your normal teaching contract at lunchtime though!

16. madenglishgirl

madenglishgirl New commenter

I can't see how paying teachers to do a voluntary lunch duty is breaking the law?

17. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

Then contact the Union at regional level - my understanding is that no-one can be forced to do lunchtime duties, and everyone has the right to a break (when you can, if you wish, leave the premises)
    I think they are lying. Call their bluff.