1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Syrian refugees

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Sep 29, 2018.

?

Should Syrian refugees return to Syria?

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Eventually but not yet

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. I'm conflicted

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So Reuters is reporting Syria as ''safe for refugees to return''.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...try-is-ready-for-refugee-return-idUSKCN1M90IA

upload_2018-9-29_18-48-18.png

So two ways of looking at it...

1. Refugees should return home. Neighbouring countries have put them up, sometimes with societal strain as result. Thinking of Lebanon there. The country needs rebuilding and Syrian society should pull together and make a better nation with international aid and investment helping with that reconstruction.

Or...

2. They'd be returning to a victorious Assad regime that would be automatically suspicious of anyone who fled the fighting, has a terrible human rights record and their quality of life would be likely to be terrible. And considering Russia/Syria are pushing at Idlib, making more refugees, not exactly a great situation.

I'm genuinely conflicted. A rebuilt, thriving, vibrant Syria is obviously the best goal. But the winning side is abhorrent [as was the rebel side granted] but I don't see Turkey, Jordan, Iraq and Lebanon being desperate to host Syrian refugees for the long term.

2. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

It's up to them.

slingshotsally likes this.
  3. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

Thousands have already returned to Syria and more continue to do so. Judging by this I can only assume that the situation in Syria is not that terrible.

Doubt they would be returning if the headchoppers were in control.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...an-600-000-syrians-have-returned-home-in-2017

4. colpee

colpee Star commenter

No; Reuters is reporting that the Syrian foreign minister has said that it is safe. Which is probably a very different thing.

sparkleghirl likes this.
  5. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

I'd believe his statements about as much as those of the late Comical Ali from Iraq.

6. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

What are they returning to? Rubble?

7. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Has peace been declared in Syria? Wars usually end when both the will to fight them ceases and the resources dry up. Resources being money and manpower.

If every Syrian worth his salt has fled and is seeking refuge elsewhere, as the papers and Nigel Farage would have us believe, I very much doubt anyone is rushing to return to that hell hole at the moment.

It might be a different story when Assad goes and the country gets rebuilt, but at the moment, I can't imagine why anyone sane enough and able to leave, would want to return.

8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

9. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

They should do what they want to do. Thousands already have.

10. colpee

colpee Star commenter

No, they should not be ‘urged’. Refugees returning to that vicious totalitarian regime will be examined most closely by security forces, and if an aspect of their departure, return, foreign country they stayed in, village or town they came from or someone they might have known is deemed suspicious, they could be in big trouble.
    And who would do ‘urging’ - a hostile home office?