1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Synthetic Phonics Course

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Penelope02, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Hi!
    Can anyone recommend a good Synthetic Phonics course? Has anyone heard of the Certificate Course in the Teaching of Synthetic Phonics? Is it widely recognised in the UK? Have attached a link to the course. Would be grateful for any advice. Thanks.
    http://www.synthetic-phonics.com/phonics_course.html

2. Hi!
    Can anyone recommend a good Synthetic Phonics course? Has anyone heard of the Certificate Course in the Teaching of Synthetic Phonics? Is it widely recognised in the UK? Have attached a link to the course. Would be grateful for any advice. Thanks.
    http://www.synthetic-phonics.com/phonics_course.html

3. The Direct Learning Certificate course is actually a mixed method course.
    Direct Learning
    is affiliated to the International Reading Association and the United Kingdom
    Literacy Association - both organisations are strongly wedded to whole-language
    methods.
    From the website:
    "Used in conjunction with the Whole Word method, synthetic phonics
    is by far the best method for teachers and parents, leading to optimum learning
    for children in reading and spelling." ''It is usual to include more exciting
    words in beginner reading books, like ice-cream, milk-shake, elephant, dinosaur,
    MacDonald's, airplane. Despite their length, these words are usually easy for
    children to read because of the connections they stimulate! ''You will notice
    them using other clues, like the pictures on the page, or guesses from the meaning
    of the sentence, and it is good to encourage them to use these clues''.
    I recommend the Sound Reading System www.soundreadingsystem.co.uk . I'm almost certain this course will be available for government match funding in the autumn.

4. SP 'courses' have, until recently, been really a matter of training offered by specific programmes and training offered by a very few independent trainers. Now that there is a greater drive towards consolidating its use in schools there are numerous people jumping on the bandwagon by attaching the magic words 'synthetic phonics' to things that are really just the old 'mixed methods' which failed so many children.
    I would wait until the ESPO catalogue comes out in the Autumn which will have details of courses which will attract matched funding and will have been evaluated against the criteria for SP training. I doubt very much if the Direct Learning Cert. course will be in it!
    In the meantime, if you want to know a bit more about SP I suggest that you look at the Synrthetic Phonics Teaching Principles, available on the RRF web site : http://www.rrf.org.uk
    and have a look at www.phonicsinternational.com which has lots of information on SP from one of the UK's leading experts.
    Steer very clear of anything that talks of 'sight word' learning and using pictures & context for word identification.[​IMG]

5. Hi there,

Osiris Educational's pioneering and inspirational courses are proudly leading the market for phonics training. Our courses have been approved for up to £3000 per school in government match funding, making premier training available to every school's budget.

Systematic Synthetic Phonics, with Tracy Fox, will bring you up to date with the latest policy, and help you develop truly outstanding phonics teaching in your classroom. Featuring our expert trainer and invaluable resources, this course will fully meet your needs.

For information, visit http://osiriseducational.co.uk/phonics/ or call our Support Team on 0808 160 5 160. We'd be delighted to be of assistance.

All the best for the new term,

Matt
    Osiris Educational

6. Regrettably the above post breaks the TES terms & Conditions. It should be on the Marketplace forum.

Nothing personal, Matt (I even have a friend who works for Osiris doing SP training) but blatant advertising is really 'not on'!