1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Symmetry advice

Discussion in 'Primary' started by LisaLove82, Mar 21, 2012.

1. I teach top set Y3 levels 3C to 4C and have an NQT observation next week. have decided to do symmetry, however thinking of ways to push my higher group. Was thinking about reflective symmetry looking at patterns away from mirror line as main teaching and then working on rotational symmetry with highers. Could somebody advise me, as to whether Y3 is too early to bring in rotational symmetry? Or if anybody has any other great symmetry based ideas- how to make to exciting, creative etc would be most appreciated!! x

2. I teach top set Y3 levels 3C to 4C and have an NQT observation next week. have decided to do symmetry, however thinking of ways to push my higher group. Was thinking about reflective symmetry looking at patterns away from mirror line as main teaching and then working on rotational symmetry with highers. Could somebody advise me, as to whether Y3 is too early to bring in rotational symmetry? Or if anybody has any other great symmetry based ideas- how to make to exciting, creative etc would be most appreciated!! x

3. How about a diagonal symmetry line rather than a horizontal or vertical? They always find this more challenging and it's a frequent question in tests. I would do that before doing rotational symmetry.

4. Would somebody please be able to advise me about what children generally find more challenging: finding reflections with a 45 degree mirror line or finding reflections with 2 lines of symmetry, (horizontal and vertical) Thanks!

5. reddevil

reddevil New commenter

45 degree mirror line in my opinion.

6. Good thats what I thought, just checking I wasnt going to 'challenge' my high attainers with something easier than the rest. Thanks!