1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

syllabus help

Discussion in 'English' started by pbruno, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Hi there.

I'm composing a potential AS/ Alevel syllabus for an interview and was wondering whether I could have any ideas. So far: I have

1) merchant of venice. (Although i need to read this sharpish!)
    2) Rossetti.
    3) The colour purple.
    4) (drama) I am stuck on as I was looking to take a feminist slant on the AS. Thus any ideas would be great.

Alevel.
    1) The picture of Dorian Gray with
    2) The curious dog..... as a comparative.
    3) the glass menagerie.
    4) WB Yeats.

My main problems are that im not sure of what peoms to pick for Yeats and how many. Also a drama for As year. So any help would be great!!!
    Thanks
    P.

2. Hi there.

I'm composing a potential AS/ Alevel syllabus for an interview and was wondering whether I could have any ideas. So far: I have

1) merchant of venice. (Although i need to read this sharpish!)
    2) Rossetti.
    3) The colour purple.
    4) (drama) I am stuck on as I was looking to take a feminist slant on the AS. Thus any ideas would be great.

Alevel.
    1) The picture of Dorian Gray with
    2) The curious dog..... as a comparative.
    3) the glass menagerie.
    4) WB Yeats.

My main problems are that im not sure of what peoms to pick for Yeats and how many. Also a drama for As year. So any help would be great!!!
    Thanks
    P.

3. One of the Lang/Lit specs has just had Curious Incident vetoed. It's now considered to be a KS3 text - you'll have to put up a good argument for it being taught at KS5.

Color Purple (American spelling) has been doing the rounds as an A level text for donkeys years - it was one of MY A level texts. It's good, but there's other good, newer stuff available. I'd try to be a bit original and show I was widely read. What about chucking in some Angela Carter there to get your feminist strand going? What about Pygmalion for your drama?

What I'd like to see on an A level course is some revisionist writing - maybe 'Wicked'. If you're going to suggest Yeats, decide whether you're going for the earlier, magical stuff, or the later political stuff, or a combination of the two to show changes. Go for 8-10 poems.

4. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

A level syllabuses tend to go for 'problem' plays by Shakespeare. You'll need to be able to make a case for 'Merchant' as a 'problem' play if you want to include it, as it obeys all the rules of comedy.

'Glass Menagerie' is also a set text already.

I'm with lumpy - try some more modern stuff. You're mostly still with the dead, white, male brigade on your list.

5. Thanks for all your help. I was a bit worried about The Curious.... too but it was recommened to me via another teacher. Also I would like to be more orginial but to be honest I have'nt read many texts since Uni. Thus I feel that I may be rushed for time. Otherwise I was thinking of introducing some Post Colonial Literature at Alevel, eg The English Patient and Rushide which may be good to go with Othello. What do you think? Although again stuck for poetry and drama !!! Ahh Im so confused.
    Thanks again px

6. also.... is this a literature syllabus? A combined lang/lit syllabus is likely to require a different approach - texts which are interesting for language use rather than for theme.

If this hasn't been specified to you, it might be worth making the decision for yourself, and looking at some of the current specs. Might also be worth making the point that there'll only be 4 units in an A level, rather than the current 6, very soon.

7. Hi Lumpy.

Its for a lit course and i have to specify 4 texts for AS (Shakespeare, Prose, Drama and Poetry) and four for A level then justify my choices. I just feel a bit flustered now. I'm thinking I should choose texts I enjoy and have knowlege on rather than new ones which I have no clue about.
    Thanks for all your help x