1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Swotting up on the GCSE English Language curriculum

Discussion in 'English' started by ladyscarface, Aug 29, 2016.

1. ladyscarface

ladyscarface New commenter

Hi everyone,

I work for a private training provider teaching Functional Skills English and maths. We are going to start delivering GCSE English language from next term onwards. I am pretty au fait with certain aspects of the curriculum from covering English lessons in my previous job (e.g. non-fiction texts, reading for bias/inference etc) however it's been a little while since I planned a scheme or work, and find myself in serious need of inspiration! I am wondering if there would be any noteworthy resources or books which I could consult. Any ideas, folks?

Oh, and FYI - the GCSE will most likely be foundation tier since we're kind of test running the subject this year. We are also weighing up the possibility of iGCSE, although nothing is yet set in stone.

Many thanks :)

Keara

2. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

There's no Higher and Foundation tiers with the new GCSEs - all students sit the same paper. The questions are (kind of) stepped so Question 1 is easier than Question 2 which is easier than Question 3...ish. I would recommend beginning by comparing the different specs from the exam boards to see which papers you think would work best. There are then lots of planning, teaching and assessment resources available from the exam boards, which come with schemes of work and reading resources.

I'd start there.

3. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

If you look on exam board websites (AQA, Edexcel, OCR etc), you'll find one year and two year plans. You'll also find plans for 16+ Language only. They could be a starting point. The specs are similar in content - the difference is in how each element is examined - so you could probably gather all the resources you need for one spec from all those websites. Otherwise, Edusites offers a SOW, lesson plans and assessments for each spec for £79 a year - you can look at what's available before you pay.

I would also recommend the Preparing to Teach courses - you'll come away with a pack of material to share in a department, and it's a networking opportunity. Alternatively, each board will be happy to offer advice and support over the phone - contact details on websites.

4. english.teacher

english.teacher New commenter

GloriaSunshine!! What is this you've mentioned about Edusites - I've never heard of it! Have just looked it up... is it worth it? We so desperately want materials!!! Please say it's worth it!!! :) *be still my heart**

Sorry but I tried to access the content without subscribing to see it and it wouldn't let me. I was trying to see the Edexcel mock material....

But... I am also raging and not really in the right frame of mind. Still no timetable. No sets. No info. No agency... never started the year in such a disarray.... so it might be that!

5. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

While I wouldn't pay for resources for my sole use, I would say that it's worthwhile for a department. If nothing else, it has mock papers that kids, parents and private tutors cannot access without a login. Some of the material is very useful, other resources less so. While you can't see the mock papers, I'm sure you can see a preview of other materials.

I would suggest that you (as a department) start by outlining the course, which units/papers you'll assess in Year 10 and identifying what needs to be taught in the first term. Then start with reading extracts that will practise the necessary skills. You can plan more carefully when sets are decided, and once you've seen who you will have in front of you .