1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Swore in class

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by kaneezy, Oct 8, 2018.

1. kaneezy

kaneezy New commenter

Hello.

Hoping to get some help and advice. I accidentally swore in front of my class.

I have a particularly challenging 3rd year class and we are working on a practical activity. I have had ongoing behavioural and lack of effort issues from this class and 95% of the class are badly behaved and disengaged in learning.

During clean up I have repeatedly asked the pupils that have cleaned up to sit down and this has fallen on deaf ears. Out of frustration I have shouted “3rd years get into your fu**ing seats!”.

This was met with numerous smirks and I have instantly said how they have caused me to lose my patience and how disappointed I am in myself for swearing and that it’s not acceptable.

I spoke with the head of my department and she’s said to wait and see if any of the parents of the kids make a complaint.

Slightly worried about this and wondering if anyone has experienced a similar situation and if you have been disciplined for this?

2. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

As a one off you’ll probably get away with it. But you really must try to keep your temper and keep the bad language out of school. Do you mean year 9 or third year juniors? If juniors then .......

pepper5 likes this.
  3. kaneezy

kaneezy New commenter

I am actually so annoyed with myself and keep overplaying and overthinking it in my head.

It’s year 9s and I have had ongoing behavioural issues with this class, its also majority boys with only a few girls.

am worried that the kids are going to go home to their parents and it’s all going to get out of hand, or am I totally overthinking this!?

4. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

You have spoken with your HOD, which was the right thing to do. You can now only wait and see. I would hope that, as this is a one-off, you'll probably get away with it. But you do need to work on keeping your temper, because you wouldn't be so lucky a second time!

5. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

I can see how an exhausted teacher would accidently swear, but as stated above, you must try to hold your temper and keep the bad language out of your class.

To me, the real issue here is to get assistance with the behaviour of the class.

I was in a school today on supply and had a class like the one you describe. There is no way I could face the group on a daily/weekly basis.

You need to try to think of a way to get the class more settled plus learn how to manage your frustrations.

6. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

It is really in the hands of the Head, swearing can be a reason for dismissal. Much more likely though is @yodaami2 's view that you'll probably 'just' get away with a verbal warning. You might want to consider confessing to the Head asap along with a lot of contrition.

In any event suggest you see the union rep, even if it's just someone to sit beside you whilst you get the bollocking.

Sorry I can't be more positive.

7. kaneezy

kaneezy New commenter

It was purely out of frustration with them not listening.

I have never lost my temper with them it’s mostly just me reprimanding the badly behaved kids on an ongoing basis, yet the same ones continue to act out.

I have spoke to my department about this class and I am still learning each day (I am currently a probationer) and my department know that the pupils in this class are challenging and in fact shouldn’t be in the class together.

Can’t help but feel like a failure.

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  8. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Really not sure what to say.

TBH, I'd be more looking into supporting you with a difficult class that caused you to lose your self control, rather than berating you for this. No, it wasn't professional...but why should someone be subjected to awful behaviour lesson after lesson?

I'd also be questioning why a probationer has such a difficult class. Get onto the Union, for that issue if nothing else.

9. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I would have to say that I doubt use of an expletive in the situation the OP describes would constitute gross misconduct and therefore dismissal is unlikely.

If the matter goes any further it may result in an informal or possibly a formal warning together with an apology to pupils and or parents.

I would suggest the OP explains the matter to the HT. His/her response is likely to be milder than if the news reaches via another route, such as a parental complaint.

10. Curae

Curae Star commenter

It was mistake ...heat of the moment . You HOF already knows Do you really think that none of these terrible kids have not been told where to go by their very own parents U bet they have prob several times Do NOT worry. Do however contact your union and prep your responses eg why or what were the reasons behind your out lburst. Ask for support with these lively spirits ( I am being really kind here ). This is what happens when staff are overworked and under supported . No the end you are remorseful apologetic and with support will continue to be the great teacher you can be.
    Stay here for unconditional support . )((((((()))))))
    Hugs because we all need them
    Curae xxx

agathamorse, d_fahey and 8061912 like this.
  11. Curae

Curae Star commenter

Totally agree.

12. Curae

Curae Star commenter

Don't you are not ...you are human.A failure would NOT recognise a mistake has been made.You have do not dwell simply prep writs down the issues and how you wil react proactively .

8061912 and pepper5 like this.
  13. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Please rest assured you are not a failure.

You are a human being - not a robot.

I still think the students have a big role to play in this. At what point do they learn that it is not acceptable to behave so badly day after day after day.

Curae and 8061912 like this.
  14. kaneezy

kaneezy New commenter

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate this.

First time I have had to deal with something like this, as for contacting the union, is it just the rep I would speak to in school? and would that be standard procedure in a situation like this?

Curae likes this.
  15. kaneezy

kaneezy New commenter

Thank you so much for the hugs!! I totally need them right now.

Curae and pepper5 like this.
  16. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Speak to the rep in school. This will be nothing to them. I was NASUWT rep.
    Do what @nomad says. He's a retired HT so he knows all this stuff.

So, as rep, I'd go with you to see the HT and metaphorically hand-hold.

17. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

I think every 'probationer' (Scottish NQT?) has a moment where they lose it in front of a class giving them behavioural issues, I had mine (not saying what it was or it may identify.) Go to the Head with the union rep, be contrite and accept the possible rollicking (at least outwardly, although inside feel free to pay the punch bag in the gym a visit that evening, just be careful you don't blurt out any details of your anger to it lest there be parents!) And perhaps while youre there make it clear it doesn't excuse your outburst but you need/want support with that class.

And for your own sake stay calm in future - kids can be little we all know whats at times particularly a group of them and they might be seeing if they can push you even further. Don't give them that victory.

pepper5 likes this.
  18. Curae

Curae Star commenter

My pleasure.

pepper5 likes this.
  19. Curae

Curae Star commenter

Yes of rep needs to brew will ask for further clarification
    GDW is expert with such matters.

pepper5 likes this.
  20. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

Coming in as a Scottish teacher, firstly you need to discuss this urgently with your mentor, if you haven't already. They should be providing you with the support you need and if you are finding this class too challenging then they should be pushing for it to be taken off your timetable at least temporarily. (that's why they get the timetabled space to deal with probationers!) You should also be getting some support from your head of department too with this - they seem to be taking the correct view with the parents without actually stepping in to make sure you have the support.

Right now, I don't know that involving EIS / SSTA is necessary - you're still at the early stages of teaching and it can probably be sorted quickly. However, if you know the rep anyway, it's probably a good idea to have a wee chat just so they know.

Curae and pepper5 like this.