1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Switzerland - salary

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Hecuba31, Apr 28, 2007.

1. I have secured a HoD post in an international school in Switzerland however, they have offered me a salary quite a few points lower than was verbally agreed at interview. After a lot of to-ing and fro-ing, they have agreed to raise it to nearly the same level that was verbally agreed.

My predicament is; this is clearly not a good sign - i am also very tempted to travel instead for about 6 months. If anyone has any experience of schools in Switzerland, I would love to hear from you. Perhaps that might help to either sway me either way.

2. I have secured a HoD post in an international school in Switzerland however, they have offered me a salary quite a few points lower than was verbally agreed at interview. After a lot of to-ing and fro-ing, they have agreed to raise it to nearly the same level that was verbally agreed.

My predicament is; this is clearly not a good sign - i am also very tempted to travel instead for about 6 months. If anyone has any experience of schools in Switzerland, I would love to hear from you. Perhaps that might help to either sway me either way.

3. I agree with you, this is not a good sign! Which part of Switzerland? Can you give a clue about its name without revealing it?

4. It's near Lausanne.

5. If its the International one I am surprised by this as they have a very good reputation. If its along the lake towards vevey/montreux I am not surprised! Can you somehow give me a clue to the school's name?

6. Hello swisscow

I am a swiss citizen myself and I am thinking of going back to "ma patrie" with my partner. We're currently working at a secondary school in England. Do you have any tips for my english partner to find a job in the lausanne area?
    thanks

7. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

They agree a salary and then "agree" a lower salary. Trust your predicament - it is not a good sign. Tell 'em to shove it.

8. If it's the one 'along the lake' towards Montreux, DON'T TOUCH IT!!!! Truly appalling place.

9. Hi,
    I know these messages were 3 years ago but please could you tell me about the school in Montreux. I'm looking at working there..

Thanks.

10. one in Clarens is fine but avoid one in Vevey that is high up

11. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Hmmm. A few years ago I would have agreed with you, but the "high Lake" school is going through a period of getting its act together. Having recently met staff who teach there, I would say that it is at least worth considering.

12. All depends on where you live in Switzerland.
    70,000Fr salary in Berne is equivalent to 95,000Fr+ in Basel, Geneva or Zurich.
    Switzerland has one of the best standards of living in Europe and as for travel by train you can go to Paris, Turin, Milan, Venice, Stuttgart, Vienna, Lyon, Barcelona and a whole host of other places by direct train not to mention Easyjet from Geneva.
    Swiss Franc is strong so sod the travelling and take the post.