1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Switzerland international school

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by angied81, Jun 11, 2015.

1. angied81

angied81 New commenter

Hi all

I have the possibility of a job at an International School about an hour from Zurich. I wonder if anyone knows anything about working in International Schools there in general, and if the cost of living is very high?

Any advice would be appreciated. Feel free to PM me at angied81.

Many thanks

2. MayaJones

MayaJones New commenter

Is it an Institute?

3. Hi Angie,

I work in an international school in Geneva, and absolutely adore it.

I'm not sure if Zurich is entirely comparable to Geneva, but here it is very expensive to live and the salaries reflect that. For example, it might cost 2000CHF per month to rent an apartment big enough for 2 people, but your f/t salary (after tax) should be around 5000 per month, if not more.

Quite a few staff at my school benefit further by living in France, which is a lot cheaper, and commuting in over the border. I'm not sure if you'd have the same possibility of coming in over a border, but it's worth considering (check out new rules though about tax payable to your country of residence if you're a 'frontalier', a person who works in a different country to the one they live in).

Overall, I'd thoroughly recommend it. Life here is excellent - the standard of living is high, the opportunities for travel are excellent (just an hour or two in the car can get you to several different countries) and at my school I find the staff are incredibly welcoming and inclusive, and the kids are wonderful. It's a genuine pleasure teaching them. Only speaking for my own school though; others may be different!

Let me know if you need any more info.

Laura

norwichred likes this.
  4. cathbaz21

cathbaz21 New commenter

5. cathbaz21

cathbaz21 New commenter

Hi there,
    I am looking at teaching positions in Switzerland and I wondered, based on your post from a while ago, whether you did in fact take up the position and how you are finding teaching in Switzerland. I am looking at positions in international schools. My main subject is Religious Studies, but I also have experience of teaching English as this was part of my first year at university. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Many thanks,
    Cath

6. bubblegirl83

bubblegirl83 New commenter

I have started a conversation with you.