1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Switching Unions

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by VelmaDinckley, Jun 13, 2011.

1. I switched to NASUWT quite a few weeks ago because I was so hacked off with the EIS. The EIS has treated supply teachers (of whom I am one) and other vulnerable groups so badly that I couldn't stomach paying them anymore money.
    I don't believe that they will follow-up any of the action agreed at their AGM. I just don't trust Ronnie and his cronies.
    Velma

2. Just make sure that you join the NASUWT (or which ever other union you decide) before you cancel your EIS membership - I'd have a few weeks overlap, just in case.

3. I swapped to NASUWT and it was almost immediate. Had an e mail the next day and all the documentation within a week.
    Only correspondence from EIS was a form asking why I had cancelled the direct debit - needless to say none of the ticky box options mentioned disgust and fury at their decisions!

4. amysdad

amysdad New commenter

My wife went the other way at the start of the year - main reason being all the other teachers in her school were EIS and there was no NASUWT rep in her cluster.
    EIS asked her to confirm that she wasn't (or wouldn't) be a member of another union, but other than that it was pretty straightforward.

5. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

I would never attempt to persuade a union member to leave their union. However, it is clear that there is a great deal of unhappiness among many Scottish teachers at the moment. That being the case, what are the options?
    Primary Teachers
    PTs can stay in the EIS of course. It is still a formidable force. Whether its leadership chooses to use that force appears to be in some doubt. I would urge PT members to involve themselves actively and to make the leadership accountable for the decisions they make. (That applies to any union of course.)
    There is also NASUWT. NASUWT has a Scottish organisation and an HQ in Edinburgh. Some would say (and I do) that the Scottish organisation is very much the tail to the rest of the NASUWTs dog. Some would also say that some of the decisions made by the NASUWT in England have been, shall we say, opportunistic?
    VOICE is the old PAT, a non strike "union". For those who like that kind of union, that is the kind of union they like.
    SPTA. This appears to be a kind of splinter group from the reject/reclaim EIS people. Not a fully formed union yet but they have their own facebook page and appear to be making some progress.

All the above have negotiating rights on the SNCT.
    Secondary
    See above. Plus there's the SSTA. Once considered an illegitmate child of the EIS and dragged along (often reluctantly) in the EIS's coat tails. The SSTA appears now to have grown up and is taking its own positions in defence of its members. See WWW.ssta.org.uk and the SSTA facebook page.
    I hope regular contributors appreciate my struggle to be objective!

6. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Top marks [​IMG]

7. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

Except SPTA of course. SSTA also has 3 reps on the teachers' side of the SNCT.

8. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

How long until you think they do?

9. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

Taht'll depend on how successful they are in attracting members. They'll need a minimum of 5k membersas a rough estimate. Of course, the EIS will do everything in its power to stop them. I reckon the SNCT itself will have gone belly up by then anyway.

10. Those primary teachers interested in the SPTA, msg me your details. There's a meeting Sunday in Falkirk.