1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Switching to cows milk

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Sam69, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Our HV has said that when we switch to cows milk in a few weeks time we need to change to beakers / cups of some sort for our LO but I'm stuck as to which to go for. He has a tommee tippee beaker with handles (I think it was the 9+ months one) for water but I think he finds it difficult to use as the spout is quite hard. Any recommendations as to what would be best to use for his milk?

2. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

My son is 21 months old and still has his milk in a bottle! He'll drink everything out of a cup but he likes to have milk in a bottle. He only has it twice a day, but I suppose we need to try again with a cup. I'd just have a look in Boots or wherever and see what choice of cups they have and buy a couple and try them out. My son uses the Tommee Tippee cups, but they do have some with softer spouts.

3. If he is happily taking milk out of a bottle and struggling with a cup I'd ignore the HV and continue using a bottle.
    My daughter naturally weaned onto a cup at 17 months which is early enough I think. They say that because of teeth but as long as they aren't sucking on a bottle with ribena in it all the time I don't think its anything to worry about.

4. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

We just put the bottle in the microwave for about 20 seconds if we're at home, but if i go out and plan to be out for his afternoon nap (he always has milk before this) then i don't heat it. I keep it in the insulated bit of the changing bag so it's cool still, but not as cold as when it's fresh from the fridge.