1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Switching sides

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Sep 13, 2018.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So last night MrsLan suggested we switch sides of the bed. She read in a magazine that this was good because it overcame bad sleeping habits.

As a result... I have felt great all day... no aches or pains... no cricks... felt very refreshed.

MrsLan didn't like it but heyho, can't win them all.

So are you wedded to one side of the bed or do you switch on a regular basis?

2. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Move to the non-drafty side? I’d love that - no chance though!

Lara mfl 05 and tiger8 like this.
  3. Pageant

Pageant Occasional commenter

I switched sides once and I couldn't sleep :-(
    Now I'm no longer with my o/h I sleep very well ........... in the middle.

4. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

No way. His side smells.

5. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

You are posting better as well Lan...;):):D

colpee and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I sleep in whatever bit of bed the dogs leave me.

And I don't even share a ROOM with Her Maj! Why would I want to do THAT???

forthejoyofit, hhhh, T34 and 3 others like this.
  7. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Always sleep on the same side. Not likely to change now after forty years.:)

8. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

I sleep in the middle as it’s all mine (apart from the bit under the cats).

9. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

We've had set sides for about the last 8 1/2 years. Sometimes Mr Sillow suggests switching sides but he's never actually serious once I push him to do it.

At the moment, though, any side is terrible because I'm getting terrible hip pain. I'd sleep in the bathtub if it meant getting a full night's sleep.

I reckon your good night's sleep was psychosomatic, @lanokia.

10. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

But we'd have to swap all the things on our bedside tables too. Plus I don't want to be in charge of the alarm clock. I'd forget to set it.

kibosh and elder_cat like this.
  11. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

We have an alarm clock each.

kibosh likes this.
  12. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

Wherever we sleep, I always sleep furthest from the door. So no set side of bed. If we moved the bed to the opposite wall if the bedroom we’d have to change the side if bed we sleep on.

13. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I always have to sleep next to the window which I leave slightly open as I like fresh air.

Currently however I’m in the spare room as Mrs J has just had a leg operation and has trouble sleeping. I seem to sleep really well on my own but I share the room with Jesmond dog whose cage is in the spare room. The window is slightly open which is just as well as he has terrible wind!

14. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Separate sheets on your bed?

15. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

A roll between your knees? Isn't there something about sleeping with a small pillow between your knees?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  16. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

Definitely tried lots of things, including a pillow between my legs. Sadly, it seems to make it worse so I'm trying to sleep without.

racroesus likes this.
  17. ABCCBA123321

ABCCBA123321 Occasional commenter

I'm on the side of the bed where the base has entirely collapsed due to a manufacturing fault after under 6 months and the appalling bed retailer (whose name might well complete the phrase "... and Hedges") won't rectify so I definitely sleep better not lying on a bit of wood that's propped up on top of the divan base to try to stop me sinking through completely. Terrible hip pain all day every day (I have hip and pelvic pain anyway from a childbirth injury).

I got sick of having alarm clock responsibility - so it's now set on an alexa routine to play a radio station the other half can't stand at the required time - that usually gets him out of bed ASAP to make it stop

18. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

I hate our alarm clock. It's one of those digital ones and it is too loud. I wake up with a start every morning. For years I've been meaning to chuck the bloody thing out and get a Different one or use my iPad which builds to a crescendo rather than a full on blast.
    Has anyone tried one of those light thingies?

19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

My alarm is an underpillow vibrating thing... problem is I get up an hour earlier than MrsLan and it wakes her up too.

What is this ''light thingy'' of which you speak?

20. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I use my phone to vibrate under my pillow, but only because I'm deaf enough I can't hear my phone alarm! Wakes up Mr Sillow (who doesn't need to get up at that time), who then gets up straight away, whereas I snooze it a few times before reluctantly slithering out from under the covers, cursing the morning and everything in it.

The light thingies come on gradually, imitating sunrise, I think.