1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Switching PGCE

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by mcox86, Jun 9, 2011.

1. I am a Primary PGCE student and if all goes according to plan then I should be qualified in 3 weeks time. I have enjoyed my course and my various placements in Key stages 1 and 2, however I am starting to think that maybe I would be better suited to secondary school children. I have a BA degree in history from Manchester Metropolitan University and it is a subject that I love, and that I love teaching.

My question is, would it be possible to change my PGCE from primary to secondary and, if so, how would I go about doing it?
    Thanks

2. quietlydetermined

quietlydetermined New commenter

If you have a PGCE you are qualified to teach in primary or secondary schools. The only difficultly would be convincing schools to employ you! I would supply/volunteer in secondary schools to gain the experience needed.

3. Another option which has been presented to me is to get experience in a middle school and transition that way. It does of course depend on your area- we've got a fair few middle schools around here but I know they're not all that common country-wide.
    Not sure how viable it is I'm afraid- I've never given any inkling as to wanting to switch sectors (I'm secondary and primary just isn't my thing), so not sure why it's been presented to me but it might be worth a look?

4. I would like to do the opposite. teach primary with my secondary pgce in French Spanish Italian. Any advice pls?Do you know if Science grade C is needed?

5. any advice on the opposite- swapping from secondary to primary. I'm an MFL PGCE student at Oxford

6. any advice on the opposite- swapping from secondary to primary. I'm an MFL PGCE student at Oxford -anyone know if science is needed

7. any advice on the opposite?- swapping from secondary to primary. I'm an MFL PGCE student at Oxford -anyone know if science is needed as well as the secondary pgce?

8. Quick Google hunt has shown that yes, it is needed. I think I was required to have it when applying to the secondary course as well, despite the fact that my subject is English.

9. As indicated above, once you have QTS you are legally allowed to teach almost anything provided you can convince an interview panel that you are able to teach it. So you are free to apply for secondary history jobs, thougfh you will need a very good supporting statement and reasons for wishing to change. It won't be easy, but its not impossible.
    James