1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Switching from Tier 4 to Tier 2 Visa for PGCE (secondary) English teacher

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by shaikreshma0499, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Hi,

I am an international student (from India) in my second year of bachelor’s in English Literature in UK and I really am worried about finding a job after my master’s of PGCE (secondary) in English as an English teacher, as I’ve seen a lot of forums discussing that it is harder to obtain a tier 2 visa as an English teacher

But most of them are only talking about directly applying a tier 2 visa from outside of U.K. or switching from a tier 4 to a tier 2 for maths or science.

I understand that having a degree in PGCE wouldn’t 100% guarantee that I would have a job but as an overseas student it would cost me a lot of money that I have to invest in my degree(s) which is why I want to make an informed choice about pursing this master’s and the possible job prospects or opportunities that I can expect.

Because, being a teacher in England would make my transition from student to worker easier, help me pursue a career I’m passionate about and on the personal level help me achieve financial independence in general.

I apologise for the tangent about why this choice is so important to me, but I wanted anyone answering to this thread to have a close to complete picture of the situation.

I suppose the important question out of this would be, Is it possible to obtain a tier 2 visa through being an English teacher switching from tier 4?

Thank you for all the responses in advance.