1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Switching from Secondary PGCE to Primary PGCE

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by caughtupinachaosofbooks, Mar 5, 2020.

Tags:
  1. caughtupinachaosofbooks

caughtupinachaosofbooks New commenter

Hi everyone,

I am not keen to go into much detail as I feel utterly disappointed with myself and obviously don't want to make matters worse. I am a secondary PGCE student, well I should say I was. I enrolled onto the course in September 2018, and unfortunately failed second placement. I was then given the opportunity to retake placement after September 2019, but my training provider have backed out from finding me a placement. I've been told they will put in an application to extend time further for me to resit placement, but still not guaranteed that I will get a placement. & I am now exhausted!

I do not wish to disclose the reason as to why that decision has been made.

I am getting sick off it and don't think I want to continue with Secondary PGCE anymore. They have advised me that I could maybe consider other routes (Primary PGCE/FE etc). However, they were not so clear themselves and have told me to get in touch with a careers adviser.

So to sum it up, I would like to know whether I could reapply for a course such as primary PGCE for the next academic year, bearing in mind my current circumstances. Would I be allowed to enroll onto the course? Teaching is my passion, be it secondary or primary. I love being in the classroom, teaching children etc. but I feel I have wasted a lot off time! Would it be worth it?

2. VeronicAmb

VeronicAmb Occasional commenter

I don't think anyone can give you any particular advise without you disclosing the reason why you failed your second placement.

Your passion for teaching is admirable but secondary and primary are two different things. I personally preferred secondary because 1) I don't like young children (always felt this way, despite having 3 of my own. I don't need 30 other needy children in my life). 2) I only have interest in my subject (English). Don't care for science and detest maths. Have no professional interest in history unless it's related directly to English. 3) secondary is more diverse and fun imo. From needy but adorable year 7s to the unmotivated, lazy but excited year 11s to the ambitious A-level students. I liked having that variety in my day. A lot more rewarding imo. And more opportunities, 2ic, HoD, HoY, etc. And I like the secondary school environment. Everything is tiny in primary schools and it's just annoying!

Have you considered dropping out of the PGCE and going into teaching via a different route? SCITT or ITT/School Direct?

PGCE are not for everyone and I think they're valuable because you get a professional qualification that allows you to teach abroad. But if you don't plan to leave the UK and teach elsewhere, PGCE isn't worth it.

Don't give up - just find a different way into teaching if you're not allowed on a secondary PGCE.

agathamorse likes this.