1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Switching feeds

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Ange_mmm, Feb 26, 2011.

1. My LO is now 6 months and was exclusively breafsted up to 5 months when we started giving him the odd bottle of formula. Maybe 2 a week. Now we are at the stage where is is on 3 meals a day and doing really well with solids, he is also having between 4 and 5 breastfeeds.
    I'm getting to the point now where I think it's time to reduce his breastfeeds. I have my third throat infection in 3 months and I am very run down. He is a big lad and I think he is taking everything from me. My skin looks dreadful and I haven't felt healthy for a while.
    I would still like to keep at least one BF a day, maybe 2 but I can't carry on with all of them. My question is can I just switch breast for bottle at one feed at first or do I need to reduce lengths of feeds first then switch? I don't think I'm making that much milk anymore as my breasts never feel full even if I haven't fed all night. Also, LO doesn't really take much in the day now anyway, he has a big feed in the morning and evening though. Would it be an idea to offer his day time feeds in a cup now rather than bottle?
    Can anyone recommend a formula aswell? He has aptamil hungry baby milk when he has formula at the moment but I think it gives him wind. I think he can have follow on milk now, is that right?
    Thanks x

2. My LO is now 6 months and was exclusively breafsted up to 5 months when we started giving him the odd bottle of formula. Maybe 2 a week. Now we are at the stage where is is on 3 meals a day and doing really well with solids, he is also having between 4 and 5 breastfeeds.
    I'm getting to the point now where I think it's time to reduce his breastfeeds. I have my third throat infection in 3 months and I am very run down. He is a big lad and I think he is taking everything from me. My skin looks dreadful and I haven't felt healthy for a while.
    I would still like to keep at least one BF a day, maybe 2 but I can't carry on with all of them. My question is can I just switch breast for bottle at one feed at first or do I need to reduce lengths of feeds first then switch? I don't think I'm making that much milk anymore as my breasts never feel full even if I haven't fed all night. Also, LO doesn't really take much in the day now anyway, he has a big feed in the morning and evening though. Would it be an idea to offer his day time feeds in a cup now rather than bottle?
    Can anyone recommend a formula aswell? He has aptamil hungry baby milk when he has formula at the moment but I think it gives him wind. I think he can have follow on milk now, is that right?
    Thanks x

3. Yes you can. I did exactly that. However, I'd say that you should take it fairly slowly for your comfort, e.g. drop one feed per week. As your LO is on solids you will be fine to do this now. I barely even noticed when my LO was dropping daytime 'top-up' feeds at around that age.
    My LO did this too from 6 months. It was all he demanded once he started on solids though he did sometimes want an small afternoon breastfeed (& my body obliged by providing milk on some days and not on others! So clever). You could offer daytime feeds in a cup now but it might be an idea to keep using bottles at least once a day in case you want to drop any other breastfeeds/use a bottle in the near future. From personal experience once breastfed babies stop using bottles it's hard to get them back on!
    I'd recommend the Hipp Organic milks. Yes your LO can have follow-on milks now (though my LO has only just moved onto it at 9 months!). HTH x

4. Just a warning Ange- I tried follow on milk when LO was about 7 months and it made her very constipated! We switched back to Aptamil 1 then follow on when she was almost a year! It's so tiresome how the advice differs- just did a search about weaning and saw somwhere that follow on milk shouldn't be given until 8 months...... so why does it say on the tin from 6 months?! Argh!

5. Argh indeed! I might give the follow on a miss for now then and just switch to normal unhungry baby milk.
    Thank you fir the advice x

6. Just keep trying. He will take it eventually. Try to act as though you're not bothered whether he takes it or not! My LO faffed a lot with bottles when I stopped breastfeeding recently (and even rejected them altogether some feeds) , but 2 weeks on and he's just come round and practically grabs it when he sees it! Could your OH give all the bottles at first? Then when LO is used to having more daytime bottles you could try again? Let us know how you get on & hope you feel better and less drained x

7. Thanks La Mariposa. I am trying with his afternoon feeds at the moment when OH is at work. He leaves early and gets home late so isn't muh help! he will easily take a bottle from daddy if I'm not in the room, little monkey!