1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Switched On - Rising Stars Primary

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by sajjy, Jun 9, 2011.

1. sajjy

sajjy New commenter

Hi
    Is anyone using Switched On by Rising Stars? I would really appreciate any reviews as I am thinking of buying a 'scheme' but cannot afford to make any mistakes!
    I need something that will 'persuade' staff to a) teach ICT b) integrate ICT into the curriclum.
    Many thanks

2. I think that the schemes of work are fantastic. They cover a lot of free software which helps in these current times. They also cover enough to satisfy the reluctant teacher and make it very easy to read and follow.

I wrote a blog post here: http://ianaddison.net/?p=784

I do have to say that although I am thanked on the inside cover, I have not been paid by Rising Stars and I merely trialled one module of the plans before publication.

3. EBD35

EBD35 Occasional commenter

I too have seen the Switched on ICT scheme from Rising Stars and am very
    impressed. Why I think it is good is that it provides, in one place,
    interesting and exciting ICT lessons accessible to teachers who may not
    have the confidence to otherwise teach them. I particularly like the
    instructional 60 second how to videos.

I have shown it to 2 of the teachers at my school, who do not see
    themselves (incorrectly in my opinion!) as extremely knowledgable in ICT
    delivery and they too were very impressed....so in a nutshell I don't think you'd go wrong with Switched on ICT.

4. Hi there,
    I've now used this with a couple of year groups and the feedback is really positive from both staff and pupils. We are going to be using it for all year groups from September. It provides lots of opportunities for cross curricular activities and the guidance is great for those teachers who might lack a bit of confidence.
    Hope this helps

5. sajjy

sajjy New commenter

Thanks very much everyone. Lots of helpful comments.

6. Hi
    Does anyone have any examples of finished podcasts from year 6 'we are environmentalists'' rising stars? I would really appreciate a link that could support my year 6 class.
    Thanks

7. ssaad

ssaad New commenter

Hi we are also looking for the most easy to follow program for our reluctant teachers (including myself!), thank you for these info! Has anyone heard of Knowles or iCompute schemes?? Thanks, let me know your thoughts!