1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Swiss referendum on freedom of movement

Discussion in 'Personal' started by colacao17, Sep 27, 2020.

1. colacao17

colacao17 Lead commenter

The Swiss today got to vote on whether to end freedom of movement. It's tied to their access to the EU market and bilateral trade deals.

Supporters of the anti-free movement plan said it would allow Switzerland to control its borders and select only the immigrants it wants.
    Opponents argued it would plunge a healthy economy into recession at an uncertain time and deprive hundreds of thousands of Swiss citizens of their freedom to live and work across Euro
    pe.

62% voted to keep FoM. So what's different about the Swiss mentality and the british one? Why do the Swiss see sufficient benefits to continue to allow FoM when Britons felt it was worth cutting ties? Why did the Swiss value their own FoM when the brits didn't?

They voted on a few other things as well - more here https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54316316

chelsea2 likes this.
  2. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Switzerland is a landlocked EFTA country with land borders to 4 EU countries. They are pragmatists. FoM if the price for SM membership.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

As I was saying on the Brexit thread, this is being a bit over dramatised and spun by the pro EU camp.

The Swiss did vote to stop FOM a while ago but the People's Party felt the government was ignoring that vote (it directed the government to use quotas) and so they went for it again.

It will be interesting though if this now means the previous vote is annulled as yes, here they have a new one on FOM which has given the 'correct' vote.....depends what was agreed by the Swiss parliament beforehand re the outcome I guess.

4. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

The Swiss also had issues about the way the EU wanted to change banking, It would affect them badly and their banking services,

5. lunarita

lunarita Lead commenter

I think it was made clear to the Swiss that stopping freedom of movement would also mean losing access to the single market.

Brits were l(i)ed to believe that the single market access wouldn't be affected.

ajrowing likes this.
  6. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

It was extremely explicit
    upload_2020-9-28_17-19-4.png

Kandahar and lanokia like this.
  7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I seem to remember 2016 differently...

Oscillatingass and Kandahar like this.
  8. ajrowing

ajrowing Star commenter

My dear old thing, that note is just project fear at work and not to be taken seriously.