1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Swimming

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Tootler, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Hi All

I have been asked to cover swimming and wonder:

Does there need to be a male member of staff on duty to supervise the boys' changing rooms?
    Ratios - general ratios both in and out of water.

Thanks loads - can't find anything on the county website.

2. Hi All

I have been asked to cover swimming and wonder:

Does there need to be a male member of staff on duty to supervise the boys' changing rooms?
    Ratios - general ratios both in and out of water.

Thanks loads - can't find anything on the county website.

3. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Hi, we too have no male member of staff to supervise the boys changing. There was a fuss about this from county but they soon realised that nothing could be done as so many schools are all female staff.
    The way we got around this was to send letters out to parents telling them there was only supervision from outside the changing room. They had to sign a permission slip to say they were happy with that situation.
    This seems to have kept all parties quiet! Apart from the boys in the changing room of course.
    Myself, I stand by the door with one foot in to keep the door open slightly so they know I'm there

4. Does your county / school not have a swimming policy?
    Where we swim they have a block of individual changing cubicles. So we have boys at one end and girls at the opposite end with two empty rows between them.
    We have teacher and TA with each class, we don't do any teaching just monitor children in pool. Plus lots of counting into building, onto pool side-off pool side out of building.

5. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

We invite parents to help with swimming. Our new pool has designated school changing rooms, which means no members of the public can enter. However, the pool is open to the public at the same time as the school, so if a kid ask to go for a wee, there is a chance he/she might meet a member of the public in the toilets, and that member of the public would be in swimwear...

Before, when we did NOT have designated changing rooms, we paid for a member of the pool staff to man the male changing area to keep our boys safe from attack of the Trouser Snake.

6. We send two female members of staff into the male changing rooms. Our head insists on it.

7. Same here.

8. 2 Classes, 2 teachers ,1 in the boys, 1 in the girls.
    If I'm supervising the boys I will stay at the open door and just go in if/when I need to. You can probably ask for a male member of the pool's staff to go in the boys changing room? We wouldn't be able to take 2 extra members of staff - costs too much. We've never had a problem, surely it's not much different to them getting changed for PE? I'd never leave them unsupervised.