1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Swimmer in the Thames

Discussion in 'Personal' started by bombaysapphire, Apr 7, 2012.

1. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

What an idiot! He was so close to some of those oars.
    I wonder what he is protesting about.

2. bombaysapphire

What an idiot! He was so close to some of those oars.
    I wonder what he is protesting about.

3. lrw22

lrw22 Occasional commenter

He looked very happy about it whatever it was. What a wally!!

4. Nearly had his head off! Plonker.
    They're taking a while to restart aren't they? Go Oxford!

5. bombaysapphire

So unfair on the athletes. It must hurt enough at the best of times.
    The wally appears to have been picked up by a Police cruiser but I'm not sure what they could charge him with.

6. I guess it might have made a pointless activity slightly entertaining.

7. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

It did. Little bit.

8. Will they put a tent around the collapsed participant and shoot him....or is that next week?

9. I'd sooner they shot the swimmer.

10. Bloody David Walliams.

11. He's more than likely ingested a good few mouthfuls of lovely Thames water, so it probably won't be long before he'll be wishing somebody would shoot him...
    *evil cackle* [​IMG]

12. Perhaps he was protesting about "imported" rowers using up taxpayers' money, or that the same two teams always get to the final, or that the whole Thames is shut down so a load of overprivileged arsewipes can have another jolly day out whilst celebrating the lovely income tax cut their mate Georgie gave them.
    cyolba, SWP General Secretary :)

13. Good on him. If two provincial universities want to hold a rowing race using some strangely mature-looking "students", they should do it in their own back yards , on the Cam or the "Isis", as they affectedly dub the Thames in Oxford. The race is a boring elitist tradition undeserving of the attention it is given , unless someone disrupts it, or even better, a boat sinks.

14. Oh tosh.
    Just tell me how abolishing an 'elitist' tradition would improve the lot of those who haven't the advantages of wealth/education/breeding.
    Why does noone ever have a pop at vastly overpaid footballers? One could argue that their contribution to society is negligible yet I never hear anyone refer to them as 'the elite' and call for them to be abolished. Probably because it isn't about money after all, it is about 'class' and the perceived advantages that confers - often wholly imagined.

15. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Ahhhh -a university graduate, Fellow of Society of Arts and upper class blogger who seems to be completely up his own **** in his search for his imagined proletariat soul. How elitist is that?

16. Hardly at all.Society needs nutters, otherwise we all conform to whatever the establishment wants

17. Pageant

Pageant Occasional commenter

I soooooooooooooo agree with you on this one Cosmos.

18. Upper class? Don't be daft. His name is Trenton.....

19. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

Probably because they have earned their place in the top teams through talent and hard work alone, irrespective of background. And then there's the fact that they provide pleasure for thousands of fans every match. Globally millions gain pleasure from watching them, so I don't think one could claim their contribution to society to be negligible.

20. He's Aussie, you snob