1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Swift Playground

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by 2r2e, Jun 4, 2019.

1. 2r2e

2r2e New commenter

Hello all,
    Anyone used this with Y5 or 6? Any experiences, ideas, links to case studies or resources greatly appreciated!
    (Or to anywhere on this forum. Did a search but only result was 2016, I think.)
    Many thanks,
    Paul

2. robwilktes

robwilktes New commenter

Scratch 3 is excellent as an alternative.
    The videos mean that the teacher can let the pupils learn as they go.

2r2e likes this.
  3. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

You can't get good at programming without practising, so I try to use languages, applications, etc., that the students can use at home. Wouldn't using Swift mean that students have to use Apple products or Linux? Something platform-independent might be better - Scratch will work on anything these days.

2r2e likes this.
  4. 2r2e

2r2e New commenter

Thanks both - Yes, I'm a big fan of the latest Scratch and the resources that go with it. But Swift (from a conversation I had) looks like it's worth checking out, so curios to hear people's thoughts.
    Thanks again,
    Paul

5. gary_scott

gary_scott New commenter

We use Swift Playgrounds for homework for the whole of Year 7 over the year (and keep track of the progress). We are a one to one iPad school though which makes it easier. It means we do not have to constantly set and mark homework. Its a decent introduction to programming then we start on Python in lessons for the summer term of Year 7.

2r2e likes this.