1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Swiffer

Discussion in 'Personal' started by swintonion, Feb 28, 2016.

1. swintonion

swintonion New commenter

I watched an advert on FB today about cleaning up pet hairs. A Swiffer was recommended. I didn't know they were still about. Does anyone on here still use them?
    I've seen them for sale on Amazon.

2. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

I have one and I use it every week. I can't see why it would work on pet hairs though.

3. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

There are a range of Swiffer products. You need to identify which one the ad was talking about. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiffer

Apparently they are marketed using the "razor and blade" business model which entices the consumers into the brand cheaply, then makes the big money from the consumables.

4. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Oh! I didn't realise there was anything other than a Swiffer duster!
    [​IMG]

5. gooddays

gooddays Senior commenter

This is a suggestion to eliminate the need for the consumable, petroleum-based, non-compostable Swiffer sheets. http://www.littlethings.com/swiffer-sock-hack-diy/

Duke of York likes this.
  6. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Hacks are good.

I wasn't being critical about the product, by the way. I've never used one. For all I know it might be the best thing since sliced bread was invented or the subsequent reminders of how invaluable a bread knife can be in the preparation of sandwiches for those of us who prefer our bread to be sliced in doorsteps.

As an aside, for those who choose sliced bread on the basis it can be frozen and eaten a couple of slices per day, checkout the bread slicing service that supermarkets offer at no extra cost, whereby they will slice and repackage a decent loaf for you.

Back to your point, gooddays, my comment about the razor and blades business model was solely to remind us that here are rarely any bargains to be had. Everyone gets taken in by this business model, beit in buying a razor that costs an arm and a leg to buy the blades for or a a printer that seemed like a bargain until you needed replacement ink for it.