1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sweetie nostalgia - 70's / 80's...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by mushroomz, Apr 28, 2012.

1. mushroomz

mushroomz New commenter

Can anyone remember the 'tots' series of sweets, of which jelly tots still exist today (triple YUM)?

I seem to recall tiger tots, which were mini liquorice allsorts, candy tots which were mini dolly mixture, and bunny tots (I think!), which were mini tootie frooties...

...But were there teddy tots as well? And, if so, what were they?

I wish I had kept wrappers!

2. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

There were no bunny tots....teddy tots were the mini tootie-frooties.

I used to love Spangles...especially the Olde-English mixed pack. They were the best!
    But I wouldn't refuse a handful of coconut chewing tobacco! That was rather yummy too! (No PC correctness when I was young!.....and the candy cigarettes used to have a smear of red on the end so they looked as of they were lit!)

3. primarycat

primarycat Established commenter

Space dust all the way for me, also fizzy lizzies

4. Olde English Spangles need to be made again!

Cinder toffee.....

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Did Wagon Wheels get smaller over the years or did I just get bigger?

6. Spangles and Pacers - I loved them.
    Oh and did Fry's do a chocolate bar with different flavours in it? I know they did a peppermint cream one but I seem to remember a fruit one but each section was a different flavour.
    *sighs with nostalgia*

7. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Yes they did. And very nice it was too!
    However, not as nice as the Cadbury Milk-Tray bar.....all your favourite Milk Tray flavours - but in a bar!

8. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

Milk Tray chocolate bar was brilliant. I remember something which I think was called a Bliss Bar but I recently came across a new bar with that name and it definitely wasn't the same!

9. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I Loved the Fry's chocolate bar with different flavoured fruit - orange, lime, strawberry and lemon I think. They still do the cream one, but it's not the same. It was a favourite that my mum used to bring home on a Friday.
    What about flying saucers and liquorice root?

10. Or the Lucky Dip, liquorice and sherbet that could kill with an unwary suck!

Talking of Fry's the not often seen Turkish Delight!

And wasn't it Fry's Five Centres: raspberry, lime, strawberry, pineapple and orange - I soooooooo remember the weirdness of the pineapple!

11. Sherbet DibDab. (And there were Tiger Tots, too, I think.)

12. You can't get Irn Bru chewy bars anymore.They were the forbidden fruit when I was little - my mother was certain they would single-handedly pull all our teeth out so we only got them when she wasn't around. Her brother used to buy them for us as a contraband treat!.

13. And a bar of choclate I still have at Christmas as a treat - Old Jamaica

14. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Anyone remember the Cabana bar? It had coconut and chopped cherry in.
    What about Balisto bars? They were like a yogurty cereal bar topped with chocolate.
    I STILL love a Topic bar and Fry's Turkish Delight. They're one of the few things that have pretty much kept their original packaging.
    I remember (though maybe it's a Scottish thing) a large lollipop made of compressed sherbet (pink or yellow, no packaging) and a lollipop that ressembled a frying pan, as it came in a round silver foil thing.
    You can still get Wham bars and Highland toffee bars in retro sweet shops but they're absolutely TINY!

15. I am outraged, OUTRAGED to witness the demise of the classic Sherbet Fountain.
    They were lovely things - proper paper packet with a nice tube of liquorice to suck the sherbet through (always unsuccessfully, but that was half the fun).
    Now, they are in nasty plastic packaging and the liquorice is but a distant memory.
    Sacrilege. Not happy. :-(

16. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

From the early 1970s onwards, there were 3 companion "Tots" brands in the UK: Candy Tots, Tiger Tots and Bunny Tots. Candy Tots were similar to small Dolly Mixtures, Tiger Tots were licorice/fondant sandwich sweets resembling small Licorice allsorts and Bunny Tots were small cubes with a crunchy shell. These four Tots types were sold in small (pocket-money) packs and from spring 1974 were promoted together in one TV advertisement (with the jingle "More to choose from along the shelf, Rowntrees Tots: please yourself)". The 3 companion brands were discontinued, probably in the late 1980s/early 1990s, leaving only Jelly Tots.

I know Wiki isn't the most reliable, but.... there you go!

17. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

I put together some sweetshop-type paper bags full of sweets for my Year 13 group the other day to celebrate the end of their ordeal of the A2 French oral. I thought they were quite up-to-date type sweets: chupa chup lollies, haribo, maowams, mini milky bars, etc, but they were sent into an ecstasy of what they claimed was 1990s nostalgia - the sort of sweets they'd get on the way home from primary school. I thought it was quite funny, these 18 year olds having a retro-moment (only seeemed like five minutes ago to me).

18. blazer

blazer Star commenter

B&M bargains sells Old Jamaica but the wrapper colour has changed (It is now blue).

Anyone remember Good Boy chocolate with several boys' faces moulded into the surface.
    Caramac
    Aztec Bars

19. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Oh, I still water at the mouth at the thought of a Caramac. Yum!
    What about the Texan bar, anyone remember that? It was chewy and covered in chocolate. I think that's what it was called anyway.