1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

sweetbreads and tongues

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by inky, Jan 4, 2011.

1. inky

inky Lead commenter

Sweetbreads are not testlcles - let's get that straight to begin with.
    I love both SBs and tongue, the latter from ox, lamb and pig. Have people become more squeamish about which bits of animal they eat or was I just from a thrifty 'use it all' family?

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

Sweetbreads are not testlcles - let's get that straight to begin with.
    I love both SBs and tongue, the latter from ox, lamb and pig. Have people become more squeamish about which bits of animal they eat or was I just from a thrifty 'use it all' family?

3. We ate anything - but never sweetbreads - and I am afraid I bawk at tongue, too.
    I am not a big meat eater anyway, never was (I was the weird kid who wanted veg).

4. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

That's a shame. I was going to offer you a recipe where we could combine my sweetbreads with your tongue.
    I have to confess I have never tasted sweetbreads myself but in a French hotel one year my daughter chose sweetbreads and said her meal was delicious.
    I have cooked ox tongue a few times on the rare occasions its been available. Although it was ok, I think it's a meat you have to learn how to get the best from, yet the rarity prevented me from doing so. I often buy tongue from the deli counter as a cold meat though and I absolutely love it.
    Do you have a recipe you can post?

5. I used to work in a restaurant that served sweetbreads cooked in a creamy sauce with cherry tomatoes (if I remember correctly). They were delicious, but I have never had the since. I was forever explainining to customers what they were (lamb thymus glands).

6. henriette

henriette New commenter

There is a restaurant in Wells (Somerset) that does a fab plate of "offal": sweetbreads, kidney and a slice of liver last time I went (all lamb).
    I grew up eating pressed ox tongue (from the butcher) in sandwiches and with salad for supper, and while I am OK to eat brawn or coppa, I don't like the French equivalent : museau - don't know why!
    Tripe, on the other hand ------------ yuck !

7. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Mmmmm....offal...
    Nicest thing I've done with offal recently was a Korean style stir-fry with a pig's heart. Delicious.
    Made a brawn with half a pig's head and a couple of trotters a few months back as well.
    Got some lamb hearts which I'm planning to stuff, a la Fergus Henderson, probably over the weekend.
    Which reminds me, no offal lover should be without this tremendous book:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nose-Tail-Eating-British-Cooking/dp/0747572577
    I want to cook absolutely everything in it. Stuffed spleen, anyone??

8. inky

inky Lead commenter

Thank you very much, nick. Only do it if you aren't pressed for time!
    I tend to go down the flour, butter-fried and lemon juice route but I'd like to try domething different.
    Ground fennel seeds are wondeful. We used them yesterday when we cooked [yet again] Maddhur Jaffrey's Kashmiri rogan josh. Such a lovely flavour.
    Thanks again X

9. LOL - I want to do a roundtrip of the UK and visit every Cookery poster [​IMG]