1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sweet vol au vents - not that controversial, surely?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Waterfin, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Decided on an afternoon tea buffet for my daughter's party. Once I had put out all the sandwiches and nibbles, I had plenty of savoury on the table so made my vol au vents into sweet mouthfuls (dribble of warmed jam in the base, dollop of cream, fresh strawberry slice on top and a dredging of icing sugar)...was amazing the number of people in my packed house who loved them and exclaimed that they had never had a sweet vol au vent or even thought about it.
    Couldn't think of anything else to put in them at the time, tbh... usually go along the lines of creamy mushroom filling but I don't like it cold, or salmon and cream cheese but the kids wouldn't have liked that much.

2. Decided on an afternoon tea buffet for my daughter's party. Once I had put out all the sandwiches and nibbles, I had plenty of savoury on the table so made my vol au vents into sweet mouthfuls (dribble of warmed jam in the base, dollop of cream, fresh strawberry slice on top and a dredging of icing sugar)...was amazing the number of people in my packed house who loved them and exclaimed that they had never had a sweet vol au vent or even thought about it.
    Couldn't think of anything else to put in them at the time, tbh... usually go along the lines of creamy mushroom filling but I don't like it cold, or salmon and cream cheese but the kids wouldn't have liked that much.

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I've always enjoyed sweet vol-au-vents. Also good to fill them is fresh, homemade lemon curd.....yummy!

4. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Why not? It all sounds a little like a jam turnover, rather than the typical vol au vent, but these are mere semantics! The name vol au vent refers to the puff pastry case, so there's no reason for them not to be sweet. I think I'd rather that to some of the horrors that get served up on the average wedding buffet.
    The vol au vent has had something of a bad press, perhaps related to its kitsch 70s image, but mainly because of some of the vile monstrosities that have been served in its name. The ubiquitous creamed mushroom or coronation chicken vol au vent, served fridge cold, so that it had the taste and texture of congealed vomit.
    Done well, they can be very good. I think they should be served hot, warm, or at at least room temperature, and freshly made, rather than using up dried old cases to encase a tired filling.
    Your idea sounds good, though!

5. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Vol au vents or boucheés is the correct name for the small ones, can be filled with chocolate creme patissiére and topped with a raspberry or segment of mandarin. apricot and almond, chopped pistachios folded into whipped cream, small balls of ice cream drizzled with a sauce, Boozy ones for adult parties, maybe even christmas pudding ones.