1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Swedish International Schools

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Eadonr2, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Eadonr2

Eadonr2 New commenter

I'm wondering if anyone teaches, or knows anyone teaching at a Swedish international school? I'm British, and currently teaching in Germany, but hoping to move to Sweden next year, but with Brexit looming, I'm wondering what the visa situation is in international schools as, unlike international schools in other places, the Swedish ones seem to be state funded, so I'm wondering if they pay for visas? Anyone know any non eu people working at one and know what this deal with visa is?

Many thanks!

2. blinky333

blinky333 New commenter

I worked in Stockholm in 2012-2013 and I'm non-EU and paid for my own visa. I was working at a school that has 'international' in the name, but wasn't a real international school in the sense that there were none of the usual benefits you get for working in international schools like free housing, flights etc. Things might be different at the proper international schools though.

3. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Blinky is accurate. You’ll probably need to take care of your own visa. And the typical international benefits don’t exist. A salary (not too lavish), high taxes, great social benefits and favorable working conditions. Find your own apartment.
    Many expats in Swedish schools are there for the long term for their own reasons, spouses and children and such.

4. Eadonr2

Eadonr2 New commenter

I don't know any international schools in Europe that offer free housing and flights, or the salaries that can be expected to Asia and the Middle East, so this was not an expectation of mine, however, I do know that schools usually pay for visa. If the Swedish schools are non fee paying, I was wondering how that worked, so thanks for clearing that up in your explanation that teachers have to pay for their own visas. I wonder if this is only true of the IES schools or if the international schools also require individuals to pay for their own visas.

5. gulfgolf

Lots of European schools pay housing, flights and etc. I’m currently in my second such school and there are plenty more. Move away from France, Italy, Spain and Germany, etc, and all of a sudden there’s this whole “other” Europe with lovely packages. Both of mine have been great locations with low cost of living and great savings potential. I earned more in Asia, but I save more in Europe. Not Sweden though.

6. Eadonr2

Eadonr2 New commenter

Yes, you are right, I'm being very prejudiced with my view of Europe as primary the EU and western Europe, and dismissing the eastern block. I know people both in Bucharest and Durres that got accommodation with their jobs. I should rephrase and say "don't worry, I'm not expecting similar packages to Asia and the middle east as I'm aware that packages on this level are not the norm for western (dare I say, most of?) Europe"

7. kendoddy

kendoddy New commenter

Hi working in the International language Skolan (Hey MOD's I did not name the school or the campus) chain of schools here in Sweden. And to put it bluntly ... not even the school knows what happening with Visas yet, from what I have seen you will probably have to pay at this chain of schools and as for other international schools in Sweden I cannot say

8. Eadonr2

Eadonr2 New commenter

Thanks for the reply, but I'm a little confused. Does your school not hire non EU?

9. kendoddy

kendoddy New commenter

Sorry they do hire non EU - most of the staff are US or Canadian (and I can check their visa costs on Monday when we are back), As you said you are British I was going along the and the school did not have a clue what was happening with Visas for the few British staff in the school come March.

10. shanshan1213

shanshan1213 New commenter

Hey gulfgulf, i'm looking for more info regarding where to look for jobs in eastern Europe that have the packages you mentioned. Could you PM me so I Can ask you some more questions?

11. gulfgolf

Check your inbox.