1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Swedish election

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

2. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

I post in response to your questions not about the elections. You are letting your thread become sidetracked.

3. Vince_Ulam

How do you think this election will turn out, @vinnie24?

4. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

I don't know much about Sweden and its election so not in a position to contribute much as @lanokia has observed.

I will watch and learn.

anotherauntsally and Vince_Ulam like this.
  5. koopatroopa

koopatroopa Senior commenter

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Probably for the best... maybe the two largest parties should agree to work together instead?

A government of the centre... centre left and centre right together.

monicabilongame likes this.
  7. Vince_Ulam

They will be fools to spurn almost 20% of the electorate.

8. Vince_Ulam

'Centre' would seem only to be a label of journalistic convenience and not an indication of any political affinity:

'With the centre-left bloc on 40.6% of the vote and the centre-right on 40.2%, analysts predict long and complicated negotiations will now be needed to build a majority, or – more likely – a minority that will not easily be sunk. This looks difficult on the left, where any coalition would need to include the ex-communist Left, effectively excluding cooperation from the centre-right.'
    TheGuardian.com, 10th September 2018.

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Oh for sure ... these things are just labels to communicate vague positions...

I'm not quite sure why the SD and Moderates can't shed those smaller parties that hang on the fringes of politics and instead form a centre coalition .... probably a sense of loyalty to old allies and ingrained tribal feeling.

10. Vince_Ulam

I would not wish to live in a one-party state.

11. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

CF
    hmmm :confused:
    Ermmm I pointed out at the time that you, like me, almost certainly rate as rich by world standards, and that your investments would also be up for grabs... That was about the point where you decided you weren't really interested in the discussion any further.

Funny how people like you are always keen to fix problems with other people's money, especially those with 50p more than you (the definition of rich it seems) but get jittery when you think your own wealth might be vulnerable.

Strange in light of that, how fast you were onto the thread.

Oscillatingass likes this.
  12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I ran this past my wife who is an immigrant.

Does she want stuff stolen by you in her name? Oddly enough she didn't endorse your desire to thieve in her name.

Really what you are calling for is using immigrants as political football to steal from people you deem to be wealthier than you. As BP points out, by global standards we are all the wealthy.

13. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

@Burdenpark goes around in circles. Talks a lot but says not very much.

That's right so we can all afford to contribute much more.

14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

florian gassmann likes this.
  15. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

So Sweden's out, huh? The Social Dems have been in power there for like 100 years.

16. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

Says the person who's sent over a dozen about a topic he admits to knowing nothing about directly and who's main worry is if the thread is about immigration, but isn't sure in what way he's concerned about it...

Wow, that's a big leap, previously you only seemed to expect that of any one richer than you, even if only by 50p... now you're actually willing to step up to the plate yourself.

Here- you've earned it.

[​IMG]

17. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

Thanks for exemplifying my point.

18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

What point? Seriously... what have you contributed to this thread?

You tried to derail it straight away... you had Scint join you in your confusion because he didn't realise there was an election on [but considering he doesn't even know when UK elections are occurring he can be forgiven] and now you're just snipping from the side lines.

Have you got an opinion about the Swedish election and the result?

19. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

See post #42.

Another one that goes around in circles.

20. koopatroopa

koopatroopa Senior commenter

Or maybe they have different policies. The centre-right alliance was only formed in 2004.
    It seems more complex than your link describes but the notable feature is that the ballot you choose goes in an envelope so nobody can see it.