1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Swedish election

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Sep 8, 2018.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

3. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

Another thread about immigration I see.

4. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

The Swedish Democrats, they will win the most seats.

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

No... about the Swedish election... hence the thread title : Swedish election.

It's happening tomorrow.

Oscillatingass, artboyusa and nomad like this.
  6. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

Is immigration the main issue concerning Swedish citizens?

7. Vince_Ulam

We'll find out tomorrow.

artboyusa and nomad like this.
  8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

According to a report I heard on BBC Radio 4 they're concerned about the impact of Climate Change ...

Electors can have views on multiple topics.

Oscillatingass and nomad like this.
  9. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

Of course. Just wondered why you chose a headline highlighting the immigration issue.

10. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

How will we find out if immigration is the main concern?

11. Vince_Ulam

Exit polls. I expect these will be reported somewhere.

Immigration is an issue of legitimate concern to many people and its discussion cannot be shut down.

12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Because it was the BBC's choice of story.

Do you not think anti-immigration sentiment is dangerous? Is that a message you disapprove of?

13. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  14. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Nope. And nope again.

15. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

It seems to me that unless you're Swedish and have an interest in following what goes on in Sweden, or have a full time job studying world politics, you're entirely reliant on what news outlets tell you.

I tend to take what's written with a pinch of salt these days, after the Brexit and Trump fiascos.

What's more interesting to me, is engaging with individuals on forums such as this one. Most will tell you they have moderate centre views. Sometimes it's useful to have people like @Burndenpark keep challenging opinions about immigration, Brexit etc, like a terrier who has smelt a rat and won't give up until it's flushed it out of hiding to flush out that the so called moderates motivation is ultimately all about. Eventually, by hanging on like a terrier it's possible to tease out of them the simple truth that their motivation comes from they're being racists.

If you confront them with it at the start, they will always indignantly deny it. Same with homophobes, gender discriminators and any other behaviour intended to conquer by division.

I don't have the time or patience to focus solely on single issues as some are keen to. Nor the inclination to waste my life by getting obsessed with them, at the expense of far more interesting things to consider, but without terriers keeping the rat population down, the world would become uninhabitable.

16. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So if people have those concerns and as you've demonstrated, immigration is a concern, why did you have an issue with immigration being mentioned?

18. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

People have concerns about immigration but they have concerns about many things particularly during an election. Just wondered why you posted an article about this issue rather than Health or Education.

19. Vince_Ulam

Why shouldn't he?

border_walker likes this.
  20. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

I didn't say that he shouldn't.