1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sweat, Sweat, Toil, Tears and more Sweat

Discussion in 'Personal' started by magic surf bus, Aug 2, 2011.

1. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I am currently re-lagging and boarding a very full and very cramped loft. It's the grimiest, sweatiest, most uncomfortable job I've done since lobbing old car tyres around the top of a farmer's silage heap on a hot summer's day.

It got me wondering what is the grimiest/sweatiest/most uncomfortable job you've ever done (childbirth excepted)?

2. magic surf bus

I am currently re-lagging and boarding a very full and very cramped loft. It's the grimiest, sweatiest, most uncomfortable job I've done since lobbing old car tyres around the top of a farmer's silage heap on a hot summer's day.

It got me wondering what is the grimiest/sweatiest/most uncomfortable job you've ever done (childbirth excepted)?

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Never done childbirth but operating an electric press-iron in a laundry factory in July and August has to be the hottest and sweatiest, but clean!

4. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

As I was saying last night on another thread, it has to have been whilst working on fishing trawlers. Poo-eeh!!!

5. Not really grimy because we kept the place spotless but doing fast food in a tiny kitchen the middle of a heatwave was very sweaty!

6. Phew. Glad you excepted that...!
    I couldn't take the one-up(wo)manship.

7. Castrating lambs on a sheep farm in the outback. They were covered in sh.it!

8. That made me giggle. Poor lambs!

9. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Not me working but I went on a visit to the Dunlop factory (Fort Dunlop) when I was about 15 and walked through the shop floor where they pressed out tyres. I thought it was hell - hot, noisy, steaming, I really wondered how those men stood it and had respect for factory workers from that day.

10. magic surf bus

It's a Travelodge now. so it'll still be hot, noisy and steaming if my experience of Travelodges is anything to go by ;-)

11. Milking cows was the muckiest job I've done. The actual milking was fine - modern parlour - but the scraping of the floor, filling up the feed hoppers and hosing everything down after was a bit of a job. Part of the job entailed assisting cows give birth, that's very mucky (arms up to the armpit in cows botties etc) but actually quite moving in a funny way, except when the calves were dead. There were 180 cows in the herd so you can probably imagine the amount of muck.
    Can't have been too bad because I did the job (relief milker) for a year.

12. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

Shifting toilet cans to dump it....jeez the smell on a hot day
    working in a loft on a hot sunny day to plumb in the pipes.......sweat fair rolled
    Wheelbarrowing soil upa steep garden and then around the house and up into a skip all day......it sure was hell!

13. Yeah, but you can get a room for £9. Some people pay a lot for a night of hot action!

14. My first job was at McDonalds. The floor was greasy and horrible, the smell of the clothes was horrible, even after lots of washes and I was dumped on to clean all the bins and the mens toilet. yuk [​IMG] Cleaning a horse and goats box was better than that.

15. I think this is clearly a figment of your imagination!

16. Why so?

17. I worked there as a student during two summers (77&78) as a student - didn't do much but it was incredibly hot and dirty. And the pay .............. £120 per week, which was superb at the time!!! (I also worked in Rackhams dept store in B'ham in the same hols for £35pw).

18. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

[​IMG]

19. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Senior commenter

My first summer job - in a canning factory. The peaches were a piece of cake but everyone dreaded being told to go on the peas - hot, steamy and smelly (not grimy though - very clean).

20. I remember helping out while the farmer was doing the same to lots of young pigs when I was a young lad working on a farm in County Durham - made a change from mucking out 200 pigs every morning.
    I also once worked on a building site which was extending the sewage works in Newton Aycliffe - I have some particularly strong (!) memories of being down a trench and breaking into an existing sewer with a very large hammer.