1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Swapping to KS1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by redladybird, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Just wondered if anyone has done the same and how they found it. I have worked in a junior school for the last 7 years so the last time I taught KS1 was during training. I really want to teach KS1, it has always been where my heart is but wondered if my lack of experience would cause me problems. Is it better to apply to primary schools and hope to be moved to lower schools in later years? I am trying to visit partner schools to experience KS1 teaching, is there anything else people would suggest? I love my current school and have had lots of opportunities to develop leaderships skills working on the SLT. Unless I am very lucky I don't expect to be able to 'maintain' my tlr so the move is really only to work within the age range I want to.
    Thanks xxxx

2. Just wondered if anyone has done the same and how they found it. I have worked in a junior school for the last 7 years so the last time I taught KS1 was during training. I really want to teach KS1, it has always been where my heart is but wondered if my lack of experience would cause me problems. Is it better to apply to primary schools and hope to be moved to lower schools in later years? I am trying to visit partner schools to experience KS1 teaching, is there anything else people would suggest? I love my current school and have had lots of opportunities to develop leaderships skills working on the SLT. Unless I am very lucky I don't expect to be able to 'maintain' my tlr so the move is really only to work within the age range I want to.
    Thanks xxxx

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I would try to move to a primary and then to KS1 later for sure. I'm in a similar boat and no-one will let me near KS1 as a class teacher just yet.

However, my current (primary) HT thinking about it for next year and I've done things like run clubs, paired class work, etc this year to get my hand in and show I'm serious and capable.

4. Hi - voice of positivity here for once [​IMG]
    Most of my teaching experience is in key stage 2. I wanted to make a move to key stage 1 and feel that my 'lack of experience' in KS1 was definitely an obstacle. It is easier to get moved from KS2 to KS1 if you have a permanent job within a school. Applying for a job in KS1 in a different school could be a challenge as they are usually looking for teachers with previous experience in theKS they are interviewing for. However, it can be done. I am now working in KS1 (in a 'new' school) - the H.T felt that my experience in KS2 was a bonus as I know where the children are heading.
    There is no harm in applying - just don't take it personal if you don't get the interviews! Good Luck![​IMG]

5. Thank you both for your comments. If only I could build an infant school to join to my current school then it would be perfect! x