1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

swapping jobs to save on petrol?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by jayney49, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Have any teachers thought about swapping teaching jobs, to save on commute and petrol?
    I imagine there are teachers driving miles from their home towns and passing each other on the road, wishing their journey was not so long and now very expensive...
    I live in Horsham, but travel to Worthing every day. Anyone want to swap? within key stage 1!!
    Posted this earlier today, but cant find it!!!

2. Have any teachers thought about swapping teaching jobs, to save on commute and petrol?
    I imagine there are teachers driving miles from their home towns and passing each other on the road, wishing their journey was not so long and now very expensive...
    I live in Horsham, but travel to Worthing every day. Anyone want to swap? within key stage 1!!
    Posted this earlier today, but cant find it!!!

3. And how does your employer feel about this?

4. How does this work?
    You go to your boss and say "I am swapping with x off TES" and then your "new" boss just takes you on?
    I am not sure I would be convinced of the commitment to a place of work (as the employer) if someone just swapped jobs to save on petrol.

5. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

I think posters 2 and 3 might be taing it a bit too seriously....?
    [​IMG]

6. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

Good to see you are completely commited to your current post.

I have changed job to save a commute.
    The Mrs saved £600 a year in petrol by changing job.
    It makes sense

7. I would consider a school being near my house a definite plus now whereas when I was looking for my current job, two years ago, I was actively seeking one a good few miles away from my house as I didn't want to be constantly 'spotted' by children I teach. After filling up the tank today I can definitely see myself ruling out jobs with a commute as they cost so much to get to now.

8. yes, so do I!

9. they have not been enlightened! these are just thoughts running through my head..it seems people are getting in a huff about it!

10. yes, at last someone who can see i am commited to my post as 'teacher'. where i teach is irrelevant. i am not intending on changing careers, my post as classteacher is what i am keeping, just not so far away.!

11. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Or you could swap houses with the other teacher?

12. Maybe swap boyfriends at the same time.

13. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

While some mock - I can see this being something many employers and employees consider in the future by way of diminishing the environmental impact of mass commuting.

14. blazer

blazer Star commenter

So what we actually need is residential schools where the staff live in as well,,simples!

15. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Hey this is my idea! From years back. Everyone should swop jobs so they live near their work. Not just teachers. The savings on fuel, accidents, and pollution would be enormous.
    Doesn't work quite so well for the unemployed though.

16. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

I think the schools should swap actually.

17. great minds think alike! thank you for a positive reply! of course its not workable is it? but in my ideal dream it does...in the future only the rich will drive cars...and i will never be rich!

18. sense at last! its the way forward. i just dont know how it would work as the most serious responders point out.

19. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

A friend did an 18 month job swap with a New Zealander, they exchanged houses, cars, pets, took their partners and children with them. He was a classroom teacher.
    If you can do it at 12000 miles it should be possible at 30.

20. I think it's a great idea, although not sure how it'd work in practice. I've had to apply to a local school as my commute is costing £200 a month in fuel, and this is with a blue motion Eco friendly car that averages 75 to the gallon!

Still waiting to see if I've made the shortlist.