1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

swap jobs due to price of petrol

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by jayney49, Mar 8, 2011.

1. has a teacher ever swapped jobs with another? because petrol is so expensive now, i am seriously thinking of trying to find another teacher who wants to swap with me so they can work nearer to home. i work at a school 25 miles from my home, commuting every day for 1 hour in total. i imagine there are other teachers thinking the same...would it work? btw i live in horsham, but work in worthing west susssex and teach in key stage 1 - if anyone is interested?

2. has a teacher ever swapped jobs with another? because petrol is so expensive now, i am seriously thinking of trying to find another teacher who wants to swap with me so they can work nearer to home. i work at a school 25 miles from my home, commuting every day for 1 hour in total. i imagine there are other teachers thinking the same...would it work? btw i live in horsham, but work in worthing west susssex and teach in key stage 1 - if anyone is interested?

3. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Unlikely to happen...

4. Hey-hey! I live in Worthing and work in Horsham! My 2.1L diesel is costing me £60 a week - argh! And if I have to sit at the Washington roundabout for much longer I may loose my mind =) I'm also KS1....hmmm!

5. and PeterPiper - £60 per week and 2 hours a day commuting when you have small children is a massive burden.

6. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

There is actually no legal obligation to advertise any post other than that of head teacher....

7. I drive 26miles each way a day, to fill my car costs just under £85 and has to be done about every 10 days.
    It diesel (not petrol which granted is slightly cheaper) but diesel varies in price around here from 133.9 to a whooping 141.9 - you do the maths and then tell me its mere pounds a week.
    When I first moved here 8yrs ago the cost of diesel was around 97.9 and the cost was far more respectable

8. Not possible unless your head decides (s)he would rather employ this other teacher instead of you and their head decides they'd rather employ you.
    Posts do not have to be advertised but it is up to the head who teaches at their school. You need to apply for a job nearer home in the normal way.

9. Crowbob

So, over 8 years it has gone up by about £18 a week. An average of just over £2 a week per year. I think that is not such a monumental increase. Easy to save that much in a week without going to the extreme of a job swap.

10. Wasn't me that was looking to swop jobs, but then if the right one closer to home came up - who knows.
    As for the rise in cost - not quite sure how you make it an average weekly rise of £2 per year as I also use the car during the holidays and weekends. In real terms compared to when I moved up here 8 yrs ago it now costs me aboout an extra £1000 a year just to get to and from work, without any other travelling

11. Crowbob

Apologies, I have a really bad habit of doing this.
    I worked it out on the basis of how much extra it cost for you to go back and forth to work (what the thread was about). I worked out the % increase in petrol cost (and in fairness I used the more expensive diesel cost you used) and then worked out the reduced cost of your tank of petrol 8 years ago, made it a weekly amount and then multplied it by the number of weeks in a school year. I made it around £700 per year extra. As a rise over 8 years, I am not sure it is so huge. How did you make it £1000?

12. Apologies accepted
    £1000 was arrived at as I know how much it used to cost me (between £45 and £50 every 10 days) and how much it is now (about £85 and needs doing this week) - but I will admit to a change in car.

13. I resigned from my job because I hated my headteacher so I had no wage and had to sell my car. I see this as a positive as now I have no evil boss and I don't have to buy petrol because I don't have a car! Also walking everywhere is keeping me slim! This probably doesn't help anyone else but I just wanted to post on this thread.