1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

swamped

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by stevencarrwork, Sep 24, 2011.

1. i have 36 students. I will have to lean to say no sometimes.

I am swamped under the workload of trying to create a SOW for 36 students.

All I can do is wing it from lesson to lesson.

Why do so many people want maths tuititon?

Are schools that bad?

2. i have 36 students. I will have to lean to say no sometimes.

I am swamped under the workload of trying to create a SOW for 36 students.

All I can do is wing it from lesson to lesson.

Why do so many people want maths tuititon?

Are schools that bad?

3. Parents are working harder and longer and have less time.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Who do you teach during the day? That's a lot of pupils.

5. That's the spirit! Value for money indeed.

6. I have an adult, and some A-Level students have free periods during the day.

I am trying to build up a question bank for them to use on their computers. One or two of my students have over 600 questions I have given them.

That is a lot of work for both of us!

But I also have to create question banks for C1,C2,C3,C4, M1, M2, S1,S2, FP1, FP2 as well as GCSE and Foundation.

So all I can do is try to get enough resources piecemeal for the next lesson for the next person. Just wing it, until it all settles down and I have a scheme of work pretty settled.

Of course, the exam boards will then change the spec and the exams....

7. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

So do you tutor on the school doorstep?!

8. I'm busy - I don't like taking on more than a handful of kids, and already I'm beyond that handful for the year with another to see tonight and possibly another who wants my details via a parent I'm working for. Don't usually expect the phone to start ringing off the hook for KS2 until after the first parents evening of the year in October so it's early this year.

9. Typhoon

Typhoon New commenter

Likewise - tuition enquiries seem to have gone mad since the very start of term this year, and they seem to be coming across all age groups and levels with no discrimination between GCSE and KS2 / 11+. Some of my current tutees want to increase their hours or add additional subjects, and I've taken several new tutees on and got another potential one to meet this week!

Like MrFibble, I only really want a handful of pupils, as I juggle tutoring with supply work, all year round exam marking (Functional Skills) and ensuring have time to exercise my horses (which is getting increasingly difficult!), and I have already got a couple more tutees than I feel comfortable with, but the extra cash is nice. At this rate I think I'm going to have to start up a waiting list!

10. I have as many students as I want just now. Even when I'm not too busy I turn people down if they're more than a fifteen minute drive away.....or if they're doing functional maths.

I only charge £25/hour so I wouldn't consider spending ANY time on preparation. Most of my students have plenty of things they want to ask me about but if they run out of questions we can always resort to textbooks and exam papers.

They want help with what they're currently doing in school, the school has a scheme of work, why do you need one?

11. A lot of my students have stuff from school.I get the usual 'Will you help me with my homework?'

A surprising number have brought a list of topics that their school will not cover by the exam time.

I also have resits, where they are getting no lessons at school, other than being given some past papers.

Demand does seem to be much higher this year.

12. mystery10

Do you think it's because when people see such a difficult job market they see a greater need in ensuring that their children are "well educated"?

13. Possibly, and also the parents I deal with can't stand their children coming home and asking for maths homework help that they just can't provide. The one consistent comment I get about my tutoring is the fact that they experience less family arguements now someone else helps with the maths work.

14. I too have as many students as I can cope with at the moment- 8 a week, combined with being pregnant and working full time I'm stretching it.
    I only tutor primary, and have found that over the last few years the main change has been from nearly all my students being Year 5/6 wanting SAT prep, to the average age being much younger- half my students are 6 or 7 years old, with parents wanting tuition for varying reasons- prep for independent school entrance exams, help for more able children to be challenged and reach full potential, as well as support for less able children to help them catch up with their peers.
    I must admit I've been proven wrong in thinking that the younger ones wouldn't concentrate for a full hour- I used to turn down under 7s for this reason. They have in fact all managed to sustain their concentration for a full hour esp when I vary the activities they do in an hour.

15. That's also the position that I am in, most of my students are now currently year 3 after joining me last year in year 2. I have 4 children in year 5 and 2 in year 6. The face of private tuition for primary school children has changed rapidly!

16. mystery10

Interesting. Which area of the country are you in?

17. Yes, how do you explain to HMRC that teenagers seem to be ill all the time, so I get 10% cancellations each week?

I don't want to a) lose fees and then b) pay tax on the lost income

18. It's almost tempting to make a disclosure of an imaginary amount just to avoid the hassle of HMRC investigating you.

19. Hi Mate
    I wouldn't do that. Private tutoring is my main source of income, and I declare everything (if I didn't, I would not be earning enough to live on!!) Be honest and you have nothing to fear. HMRC are after those who have not registered with them. There are a lot teachers, and others, who have full-time jobs, and do tutoring 'cash-in-hand' without telling HMRC. These people advertise online, and the tax man has been gathering their details for the past 4 months! I know of one assistant headteacher (higher rate tax payer) who charges £45 an hour (only cash accepted-I wonder why?). He should be paying 40% of that in tax!
    HMRC can look at bank accounts and lifestyle indicators. As long as you have been honest in your tax return, you have nothing to worry about!

20. £56 grand a year I wish. I also declare all my earnings to the tax man, or the tax web site. 'Web robots' they sound fun!