1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

suuply teaching pay

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by little_miss_teach, Feb 15, 2012.

1. little_miss_teach

little_miss_teach New commenter

Hi all
    I just wondered how much i can expect to take home from a day of supply. I am an m5 teacher (although that doesnt necessarily mean I will get paid much!) but after tax etc what would I be expecting to make for a day?
    Thanks

2. little_miss_teach

Hi all
    I just wondered how much i can expect to take home from a day of supply. I am an m5 teacher (although that doesnt necessarily mean I will get paid much!) but after tax etc what would I be expecting to make for a day?
    Thanks

3. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

It depends.

Agencies tend to pay no more than about £150 a day maximum. From that, your NI, tax and employer's NI have to be taken and a processing fee.

Ends up at about £100 a day. Of course that "includes" your "holiday pay" and there's no pension, nor sick arrangements either.

This, of course, assumes you get work as a teacher, you might get work as a cover supervisor instead and that would give a take home of about £70 a day.

4. You would be VERY lucky to get this much.

5. Just what I was thinking. The going rate here is between £90 and £120. But we do get 12% holiday pay too.

6. I'm M5 and I get 130 a day as a supply teacher. My agency offers CS work at 65 a day, which I have refused.
    Like the insurance adverts tell us, shop around and see what is the best rate you can get.

7. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

around here, Hampshire. the going rate appears to leave about £80 per day after deductions. I work on BR tax rate for agency as I would rather over pay tax and get it back than get a big tax bill to pay in the Summer when I am uber broke!

8. Down here in south west, agencies I work for pay all teachers the same regardless of experience and top line before tax etc is between £90 and £101 :( I'm M6 and if I work direct for schools and paid by LEA I'm paid to scale, which is considerably more. Trouble is majority of schools down here only use agencies, I have 3 schools contact me direct but days are few and far between for this as I am at the bottom of their lists at the moment. I sent my CV and covering letter to about 25 different schools in April and only got the 3 replies.

9. little_miss_teach

Hi all
    Thanks for your replies - I have two agencies who have said they will market me as £120 a day to schools as any more and the schools wont pay. I have said ok to cover superviser work as a last resort depending where the school is as I figure some money is better than none!