1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

suspension threat

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by starfluf, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Hi all

I was called in by union rep to see the HT with threat of suspension with 5 minutes notice. If I had not made the meeting, I've been tld the suspension would have happened. 4 members of staff are currently suspended since September, so I thought I didn't have a chance against this. Turns out a child had made an allegation whilst I was on duty. Firstly this child was in an area where we have had significant damage to the PFI fixtures, and could have been a safe guarding issue, secondly because of all the suspensions the unions have suggested buddied duties. Had either issue been addressed the allegation would not have happened. Consequently when I am outside of my classroom I feel I may have to 'turn a blind eye' against behaviour for my own job safety. Advice please?

2. I sympathise because you are clearly upset, but I'm sorry,I really don't understand what you are saying.

3. Hi
    You're clearly very wound up and it sounds as if the school you're in is off the bl33din wall. If ever there was a case for your union to start protecting its members more actively it is now.
    However, if you have to follow the advice of Marcus Aurelius and conform to nature.....so, walk slowly to the duty spot, be as near to other staff as possible, note names and circumstances of anyone starting a fire and report it in writing to whoever is in charge.
    It's impossible to expect a reasonable human not to intervene if there is danger of death. However if it's a fight, go first to summon help.
    If you are in an isolated area you need a radio if you aren't near another teacher. If they haven't given you one I'd be tempted to put the direct number of the person in charge of duties into your mobile and ring them. Every time you're on duty. Ask them what to do.
    When will unions stop their members being used as unpaid, untrained security staff?
    Also. apply your way out of this madhouse and get a decent school that's not run by loonies and populated by feral brats.
    Might be difficult...keep trying.

4. Zadok1

Zadok1 New commenter

There are guidelines relating to the reasons for a member of staff being suspended and none of them relate to a member of staff making it to a meeting; they either have grounds for suspension or they don't.

Whenever you are told anything of this nature write an email to the person who said it to you. Write exactly what they said to you and ask for clarification as to the meaning of what they have said so as to be sure you understood. Any response from them is clarification that they did actually say it in the first place. In other words, turn any verbal communication of this kind into a written record... sadly you might need it in the future. Email is a wonderful invention because it is not only a written record but it kindly adds a time and date... and is very difficult to actually remove. Print everything and keep it in a chronological file of any and all correspondence. Any phone calls or 'casual comments' need to be recorded too, keep a diary.

I'd also be a little concerned about a union rep who allowed your HT to tell you that you would have been suspended if you hadn't attended the meeting... so I'd be tempted to contact your regional office.

Get a copy of your council code of conduct and read it from cover to cover, it relates to all council employees so that includes you. If the union have made recommendations that have not been followed then they are on thin ice but more then that you might find that the employer is at fault if they have compromised your Health and Safety through lack of repairs etc.

Good Luck!

5. Zadok1

Zadok1 New commenter

Snow storm, The code of conduct for council employees should shate very clearly what reasons they can have for a suspension of a member of staff. They have to be pretty clear on their reasoning and so it should never be decided on whether someone makes it to a meeting... I'm not saying it doesn't happen... just that it does not fall under the reasons set out.

I confess I had been teaching for well over ten years before I came into contact with the code of conduct for my council but I think teachers should be taking a long hard look at it... I know schools have a condensed version for their own school but the overall one should be available to them and is full of all sorts of interesting things that we should all be aware of. For example... and I know this sounds silly but the code of conduct for my area actually states that an email should never be written in capital letters as it could be perceived as shouting. Now I know that sounds like a pretty petty thing... but if you had seen some of the pettyness they threw at me... Well I have emails written in capitals.. and they make up a part of my case, a small part, but it's not the only example of things I found in the code of conduct that had been totally ignored.