1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

suspended

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by frenchqueen, May 1, 2012.

1. If a teacher has been suspended from their job - do they HAVE to go to a suspension meeting? Or can they put it off until a later date when a) their mental health is better and b) they have had time to gather their case together?

2. If a teacher has been suspended from their job - do they HAVE to go to a suspension meeting? Or can they put it off until a later date when a) their mental health is better and b) they have had time to gather their case together?

3. Get in touch with your Union straight away, and do not go to any meetings without a representative from regional level with you. Good luck!

4. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Seconded.

5. Contact your regional representative immediately and find out! Definitely don't go into any meetings without appropriate support.

6. Linda555

Linda555 New commenter

Sending you very best wishes - you have had such a tough time! Really feel for you.

7. Yes - you have to go- If you can't go and or nobody represents you at the meeting - you will be suspended anyway. The meeting is not a decision to suspend, it merely authorises a suspension. Take a friend or anybody with you if union reps are not available. Do not offer any information unless you are sure it will not incriminate you. Everything you say will probably be recorded. Attending the meeting is a chance for you to gather as much information as YOU can in order to try to defend yourself at a later stage. This can be crucial otherwise you will be left in the dark for a long time. Ask all questions about who - where and how and make contemporaneous notes.
    PM me if you need more advice. This is serious- do everything buy the book- do everything you can to get to the meeting and watch everything you say.

8. I was told by my area rep not to say anything in a meeting, leave it to the professionals. If you are forced to attend a meeting, just simply say that your legal representative has advised you to say nothing. Apparently, some Heads try bluffing you with the PACE caution about 'not mentioning anything that you may later rely on': do not take any notice of this, it has no legal standing if used by anyone other than a police officer. If you must say anything, ask questions, but do not answer any.

9. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

And note it down so that it can be challenged later - ht exceeding his/her power. You can ask where it occurs in the policy.

10. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

I echo what has already been said - however, I am wondering, do you mean a meeting AFTER they have been suspended? If they have been suspended, they should have been told, normally in a meeting but not always (I was informed by my regional officer!) and then they would be invited to an investigative interview, sometimes called a disciplinary investigative interview (though no discipline action can be taken before the discipline hearing in front of governors). A teacher must attend this interview - however, if the date offered is not appropriate e.g. rep. is not available, the teacher can ask for it to be rescheduled, though a school does not always have to do this. At this sort of interview, make sure you take detailed notes and ensure you receive a copy of any minutes taken (and then amend with your union rep and send back as necessary). Answer questions clearly and concisely. You can ask questions (I gave them 20 questions to answer!) but it is not usually the place to hand over any written evidence/case. A rep should advise you further, use regional not school rep. best of luck

11. As others have said don't attend any meeting alone and offer the least possible information whilst noting down everything being said. An awful place to be in but remember that it will pass, whatever happens.