1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Suspended is resignation possible?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Tworonnies, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Tworonnies

Tworonnies New commenter

Hello all

I have taught many years without problems. In recent years micromanagement has crept in and problems along with that. I teach secondary and have recently moved to a new school.

I now find myself suspended due to an allegation, not a safeguarding issue.

I have union contact. The question I have relates to resignation.

If I simply want to resign and move onto supply will supply agencies take you on if your reference is basic. I know they will check two years past references.

I have been informed if I resign before the investigation is concluded the reference would mention this. How would that be received by agencies.

Thanks

Ronnie

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

On a normal teaching contract the earliest date you could resign would be 31st December. Presumably the school would have completed their investigation and any disciplinary hearing by then?

3. HolyMahogany

HolyMahogany Occasional commenter

You need to get this allegation cleared, Ideally before you move on, or even resign. The school are likely to be more motivated to process matters through if they have a member of staff who is still on the payroll and sitting at home doing nothing.
    Once you have gone or even announced that you are going they will be more interested in replacing you than in dealing with the allegation. This could result in you being stuck in unemployment limbo for some time.
    Better to convince them that you are keen to teach and committed to their school, love working there and all you want is to get back to work ASAP.

4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Tend to agree with Post #3.

You could, of course, hint (nothing in writing!) that you will be prepared to resign if you are cleared, but will continue to fight your corner doggedly for as long as it takes to clear your name until then...'just so you know'...;);)

5. SundaeTrifle

SundaeTrifle Occasional commenter

Agree with @HolyMahogany, get the allegation cleared first then move on.

ilovesooty likes this.
  6. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Once you have resigned the school have no reason to consider any compromise or indeed to consider anything at all. Do not resign until your union advise you to do so which will be when you have achieved the best possible outcome from the disciplinary hearing.

7. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

I agree with everyone else.

If you resign - that's it. You need to get your name professionally cleared and then you can move on.

HolyMahogany and ilovesooty like this.
  8. Tworonnies

Tworonnies New commenter

Ok thanks. My position is temp. I’m not trying to escape a disciplinary but just want to move on.

9. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

There will probably always be people on an agency's books who are not currently "suspended pending investigation of an allegation" and so they will always be favoured over you for supply work. As long as "pending" is the status, agencies will be compelled to believe the worst of you.

If you wish to turn to supply when the allegation has been fully investigated and you have eventually severed ties with your current place, you may still need to declare that you were the subject of an allegation involving suspension, or a disciplinary. It depends what happens and what info they ask for You should take union advice as to how to phrase your viability for work, because an allegation does not necessarily prevent getting supply work in the future.
    But a current unresolved one probably does

10. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

To answer the question, yes resignation is possible but like the above wise words I wouldn't recommend it.

I'd avoid agencies until you're cleared or it's over. Simply because the agencies will take a narrow view of your complex case and even worse if they accept you then they've got a ready argument to pay you even less than the usual peanuts (still charge the school the same, of course). This will be even worse if you don't teach an in-demand subject.

The only consolation for the doom-laden scenario above is that the last employee becomes the agency after a few weeks so any reference issues are cancelled out.

HolyMahogany likes this.
  11. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

So:
    Whatever the allegation, it is such that the school feels you shouldn't be there while the investigation takes place. Yet you are hoping another school would be happy to have you before the allegation is concluded? It's unlikely in the extreme.

Your reference won't be 'basic'. You most recent reference will say something like'it was alleged that X happened, you were suspended while it was investigated, you resigned and hoped to leave before anything could be concluded.' And you are hoping a head will welcome you into their school with open arms, via an agency? Again unlikely in the extreme.

Agencies will be aware they cannot find you work. However, they may well sign you up with all kinds of lies and charge you X, Y and Z for the privilege.

Piranha likes this.
  12. Tworonnies

Tworonnies New commenter

Thankyou for the reasoned responses. Clearly the only way forward is to complete the investigation disciplinary, allow an outcome then move on.

13. Bingowings64

Bingowings64 New commenter

14. Bingowings64

Bingowings64 New commenter

If you resign they may not proceed with the investigation- but they could proceed in your absence according to statutory guidance. Seek advice from ACAS. I have added legal advice and representation on my home insurance-peace of mind. I wish you well.