1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Suspended impending investigation.

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by OpalGold30, Nov 10, 2017.

1. OpalGold30

OpalGold30 New commenter

Hi, I was looking for some advice.

I was suspended about a month ago following a very uncomfortable incident at work, I panicked and didn't give all the information to my employer straight away, which I have subsequently taken full responsibility for. I had my interview today and while I was there I was given another letter saying I am going to be investigated further into another matter which is completely untrue, I had no idea of this before today and the allegations and stories against me seem to come across as pretty sound, which just means its my word against theirs.

I'm not sure how its all going to end, but it doesn't feel good, my question is more looking to a "what to do if the worst happens?" will I ever be employed in education again? I love my job and I know I made a mistake and should have been upfront straight away, these new allegations have no evidence whatsoever, and I don't feel like I would be comfortale returning to work after all of this comes to an end anyway.
    Can I look for another job while all this is going on, and if the worst happens and I am dismissed for misconduct, what is the likelyhodd of me ever being employed again?
    I have contacted my union but unfortunately because I only joined recently they cannot offer me much in the form of advice or representation, so any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thank you

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Hello

I'm sorry you're having a tough time at the moment. Can I suggest though, that if you have used your real name as your user name you ask for it to be changed as you have given information that identifies you.

Please can you email the Customer Services Team and let them know if you wish to change it? You need to send an email to help@tes.com with your old username, the email address you registered with and the suggestion for your new username.

You can change the username of your existing account, which might be easier for you, or you can ask the team to delete the old one, if you prefer.

3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

You are history at your old school.

Get yourself an agreed reference (if they will give you one) and resign.

4. OpalGold30

OpalGold30 New commenter

Thank you I have done this now.

marlin likes this.
  5. OpalGold30

OpalGold30 New commenter

Thanks for the reply, are my prospects at new employment pretty bleak then?

6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

That incident is now above board. You will need to go through the approved process - presumably of unprofessional conduct, unless it amounts to misconduct or gross misconduct. If your union membership took effect AFTER the incident, then they will not support you. If your membership took effect BEFORE the incident then they have a legal obligaition to support you.

Gather as much information as you can - emails, letters, notes, etc.

Teaching is not the be all and end all. There is a whole world out there of people who don't teach. If the worst happens (i.e., you are put up before the National College of Teaching and Leadership Disciplinary Panel and prohibited from teaching) then you put it behind you and move on. Provided, of course, that the allegations do not involve child safeguarding issues.

Yes. However, if you are applting for a teaching post you should advise your potential employers that you are currently under investigation. your referees will be asked the same question.

Depends on the allegations and the outcome.

7. OpalGold30

OpalGold30 New commenter

Thank you for your help. It's very much appreciated.

nomad likes this.
  8. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter Forum guide

Have you checked your household insurance to see if you have legal cover. This could be a way of some legal advice.

frangipani123 and FrankWolley like this.
  9. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Established commenter

The school will be following the disciplinary process. Make sure you get a copy (it will be on the school intranet or easily available otherwise) and read it very carefully. This should prepare you for the likely events coming your way.

I should stress that you are not guilty at this moment. It will come down to the HT's discretion as to what happens dependent on the evidence that is being gathered.

If it's too late for the union then do you have a friend on the school staff you can trust? Even if they are just as clueless as you they will be someone with you when it counts. You can just as easily invite a friend as a union rep and you will have a steady witness who can remind you of what occurred.

frangipani123 and pepper5 like this.
  10. OpalGold30

OpalGold30 New commenter

Thank you for the reply, I have got myself into a bit of a state this afternoon about it all, it didn't feel as if anyone was interested in hearing what I had to say, they were just intent on telling me how it didn't marry up with the allegations - which clearly it wouldn't as they are not true. I think I will take somebody with me next time, thank you.

pepper5 likes this.
  11. Tinycat1234

Tinycat1234 Occasional commenter

Log everything and keep a careful record of all conversations etc. I would def get some legal help if possible. And speak to the Education Support Partnership if you need some emotional support.

pepper5 likes this.
  12. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

If what you have done is fairly trivial, some may wish to fight it.

If it is more serious, I would offer to resign and look for another teaching job if you want to stay in teaching but you will have to disclose the investigation.

If its more serious still you could be barred from teaching.

Without knowing what you did its hard to say.

Good luck and hope it turns out OK!

pepper5 likes this.
  13. marlin

Please don't give any further information on here - one never knows who is reading the thread and it could land you in further trouble if you do.

pepper5 likes this.
  14. OpalGold30

OpalGold30 New commenter

Thank you everyone for your kind comments and advice. I’m going to do my best to defend myself and clear my name and then I’ll be looking elsewhere for employment, depending on the result.

FrankWolley and pepper5 like this.
  15. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

It’s good that you have changed your user name but your original name is still appearing when you have been quoted.

Report the threads to try and get your name removed.

16. Sanz1981

Sanz1981 New commenter

What did you do? If you can HINT toward it might be able to help.

17. knitone

knitone Senior commenter

Please don’t. With the best will in the world, people on here can only give general advice, and there is nothing to be gained by revealing information that you don’t need to. I think @nomad has covered most bases.
    Although you are clearly going through a very stressful time at the moment, It won’t last forever. Keep positive.

18. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Agreed.

19. Blue_y

Blue_y New commenter

Probably best to get this comment deleted as still identifies you @tesRosaline

20. marlin

@TES_Rosaline

Is it possible to amend this thread so that only the new username is ever seen please? It is not only within the thread, but the 'started by' username too.

lindenlea likes this.