1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

suspected breast cancer

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by tracer24, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Hi everyone, I am hoping someone out there can give me some advice. I went for a mamogram and they did a biopsy on the lump I have in my breast. They think it looks like a cancer but I won't know for sure till Monday. They said surgery will probably happen in 5 weeks. I'd like to know if it's usual to have any other treatment after the op, so if any of you out there have got any experience of this please advise me, thanks.

2. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

Hi Tracer
    I'm no expert but I am aware that friends of mine who have had breast cancer have had chemo and/or radiotherapy afterwards but I think it very much depends on the results of the biopsy. Hope everything works out OK for you

3. Thanks Ruthie. It's just the waiting till Monday when I can ask all these questions at the hospital that's so hard. THank you for your kind response anyway.

4. joli2

joli2 New commenter

I don't know specifically about breast cancer, but I think the treatment depends on the result of the surgery and how far it's gone. I think usual treatment is the surgery followed by chemo/radiotherapy. Sorry you're having to go through this. Sometimes the waiting is the hardest part. Once you know what you're dealing with (if anything) and get a treatment plan it will be (somewhat) easier to deal with.

5. Thanks Joli I know you're right, there is a small chance that it's nothing and I need to know what sort of something it is if it is! Thanks for replying.

6. There are lots of different types of breast cancer and it really is impossible to guess in advance of what the hospital tells you. You won't know yet if it's a lumpectomy, what stage it's at, how aggressive it is, if the lymph glands need to come out or what. All these affect what treatment you'll need after.
    The waiting for information is the worse bit, and be prepared for the possibility that the person you see won't have a clue who you are - I never saw the same doctor twice last time I was being investigated for cancer. Make a list of things you want answers to and get it out during the appointment. It's so easy to forget your questions, whether through heartsink or relief. Hopefully the latter.

7. THank you Lily. They couldn't see any sign of it in my lymph nodes when I had the mamogram and ultrasound but I suppose that doesn't mean anything. I feel really daft moaning about a little lump. I have read some of the cancer threads and there are many who have gone through worse. Just gotta wait till Monday I guess.

8. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Never, ever feel daft about complaining about a little lump.
    I wouldn't be here if I had thought that.
    Waiting for full diagnosis is not a good place to be. Stay strong.
    P

9. Hi tracer, I haven't been online as regularly as I used to but found the forum very helpful and supportive when I had breastcancer a few years ago. It is the most scary thing imaginable but you will learn quickly that a lot has changed and it is far more treatable than you might imagine.
    I had the most common type, had it out about 10days after diagnosis (yes, that quick -alarming but the hospital expects x % of positive results from mammograms and the allocations of beds/staffing/theatre time are all ready for names to be filled in... it's that efficient,for once). Flippin uncomfortable but not unbearably painful.
    After 10 weeks recuperation and the op had healed completely then it was 3weeks radiotherapy (again, no big deal. Honest.).
    No chemo necessary -despite the fact it was reasonably big they were confident it was all out(they test lymph glands just to make sure) -instead since it was the hormonal-sensitive kind(again the most common) I got a 5year course of a wonderdrug that basically flattens your oestrogen production (to starve any cells -wherever they might be) but sideffects relatively mild. No sickness,hairfalling out stuff, just megamenopause symptoms which calm down after a bit
    If you are younger you'll probably give you a different one, equally powerful but again not at all in the 'chemo' type of sideffects.
    One or two on here have had bigger ops and chemo, and I wouldn't deny that's more serious but they have managed amazingly well, I think. And that is far more unusual.
    I hope you are soon sorted (or better still, it turns out to be a cyst or summat). You visit just about every dark thought imaginable (over and over again!)in the waiting but honestly, it does get better when you know more, odd as it seems.
    I am told mine is extremely unlikely to come back. 'About 98% -ish'. Seems better odds than if I hadn't had it in the first place, so I can live with that...
    Take care and keep in touch, let us know how you get on. xxx

10. sorry all that was a bit waffly... and I forgot to say DON'T GOOGLE (too late, eh...) as the boring easytreatable diagnoses just don't get much webspace.....and a lot of it is plain out of date.
    If you really must, this helped me loads. Better than the random stuff although most of this may never be relevant to you, remember...
    http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/diagnosis

11. I agree! Google is the hypochondriac's best friend and the patient's worst enemy!

12. casper

casper New commenter

Hi hun, well I have had Breast Cancer, it was not the usual kind. I had mastectomy, chemo radio therapy and herceptin treatment. I have had reconstruction this summer and I am feeling really good.The worst part is the waiting. Try to keep busy. Easier said than done I know. Please PM me and let me know how it goes.