1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Survivor’s Pension

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by PeterQuint, Aug 4, 2019.

1. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

SWMBO has just asked me this, and I don’t know the answer, though I’m sure I’ve read it here somewhere.

Next year I turn 55 and will be taking my pension.

How much will she get when I die, presuming I go before her, but after I’ve started taking my pension?

2. lynneseptember

lynneseptember Occasional commenter

Isn’t it 50%? Not totally sure, but that figure rings a bell.

border_walker and PeterQuint like this.
  3. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

It’s 50%. That’s not always true if the pensioner is female because earlier service (can’t remember the date, pre 1980s?) doesn’t qualify for widowers. I suppose originally it was assumed a man would have his own income anyway but equality has meant that now it’s the same for both.

PeterQuint likes this.
  4. jonnymarr

jonnymarr New commenter

'Annual family benefits' on the pension statement online / 50% as mentioned by others above.
    For more info, eg if you are a deferred member, there's also a TPS factsheet with the dubious title, 'Death benefits' :(

PeterQuint likes this.
  5. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

I think it may be 50% of your pension, ONLY when she reaches her retirement age i.e. she can only get it when she is 65-68. You can draw earlier at 55, but she can't. That's what I think it is.

PeterQuint likes this.