1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Surviving the academic year ahead

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Smallhead, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Smallhead

Smallhead New commenter

From about March I have been considering leaving my current post. I work abroad and the notice period is a term and I basically left it late to leave at the end of the academic year last year and was not 100% about leaving. However I am certain now that I want to leave for various reasons. I don't feel I can leave during the academic year as I have two young children and it would be chaos for us as a family to move. My partner is supportive and would move during the academic year but I think my references would suffer. I feel that my unhappiness at work is impinging on my whole life. I have established the habit of working every evening (I have quite a few extra responsibilities) and I know making time for myself and family would help me to feel a little better. But does anyone have any suggestions on how else I can get by this year? I have many colleagues I like working with and I do have a good support network, but not that much time to see them. I have updated my CV and am watching TES jobs carefully. I do feel stressed and have found myself in tears at home in the evening at times. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.