1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Survived the first term ....just!

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by Melj16, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Melj16

Melj16 New commenter

Well the first term is almost over and good grief it has been tough!

I felt like things were going well, felt happy and comfortable and then my mentor started to stab me in the back. She wouldn't let me run my ideas past her for an observation for her advice and support (it turned out to be a bad ob). I have since had a second ob and came out as all 'Good' with some 'Outstanding' but unfortunately it has not lifted my spirits :(

As much as I do feel some relief and some pressure lifted.......my goal now is just to get through my NQT year with a pass and find another post in a different school.

I have also came to the conclusion that full time is too much for me with two young children. I have always worked full time but teaching it like two full time jobs! I want more time with my children!

Sorry to rant.....guess sometimes it is good to offload to people who understand.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done!

This will have been the most difficult term of your whole teaching career. Honest!

So it can only get better from now on.

Enjoy the holidays ahead with your two children.

Best wishes

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Remember that induction is a cumulative experience over three terms and it is the final term assessment that determines the Pass. Ofsted guidance is that individual NQT observations should not actually be graded as good or outstanding and it is the overall progress through the induction which is measured. This includes pupil progress and other assessment data not just lesson observations.
    Part time teaching is very popular and there is quite a strong demand in most areas- often easier to negotiate part time from inside the school.

4. JMoogle

JMoogle New commenter

If i got good with some outstanding I would be over the moon! :)

wanet likes this.