1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Survey: Should pupils be banned from bringing smart phones to school?

Discussion in 'Governors' started by TES_Rosaline, Sep 21, 2016.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

pgcePCET1617 likes this.
  2. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Some teachers wish all technology was banned-especially for teachers, so they can actually talk once again in the lunch break instead of crouching over a screen!

pepper5 likes this.
  3. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Speaking of lunch breaks.

On one of my most recent assignments as a supply teacher, I went into the classroom I was going to be in after lunch to set up. It was a wet break, so a group of year 10s were in the room and all were huddled over their mobile phones and they stayed that way over the break while I was in the room until the bell rang for the lesson after lunch. This is not an unusual scenario, since I come across this in tutor time ( I always ask the students to put their phones away and we do something as a group), and lunch time in many schools I go to.

As they walk the corridors changing classes, mobile phones are out and being used. The girls especially like to float along with their phones in their left hand as it is part of their limb.

It is a hassle and time consuming to ensure all the phones are off and put into bags at the start of a lesson.

If phones were banned, there would be the fall out of dealing with the addicted.

4. wanet

wanet Star commenter

But doesn't the addiction need dealing with?

pepper5 likes this.
  5. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Good point wanet.

wanet likes this.
  6. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Thank you for your comments.

pepper5 likes this.
  7. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

And what about the teachers' addiction-maybe we should be role-models and spend our breaks talking to each other?

pepper5 and wanet like this.
  8. Smithy84

Smithy84 New commenter

I'm afraid you can't control these things. It's a bit like trying to control the internet, just impossible as people will find a way.

Our school has outright banned mobiles however kids still bring them in and find innovative ways secretly store them.

pepper5 likes this.
  9. binaryhex

binaryhex Established commenter

My last school had an outright ban on phones. If they were seen at any time anywhere on school premises they had to be confiscated and parents had to collect them. It only worked because any teacher who was seen not confiscating a phone was asked to explain themselves by the Head, and one teacher actually had a warning for not doing it more than once. Students not handing over phones were put in DT and three strikes for phones In a half term led to a suspension. Fair play to the Head for having the strength to do this. I would imagine that introducing the ban would need clear communication but as long as all staff followed the rules, it can be done. I've seen schools attempt bans and fail in the past because there were always teachers who couldn't be bothered to confiscate phones, and Heads wouldn't warn teachers who failed to do it.

It worked a treat and made teaching sooooooooo much easier. Just one less (major) thing to battle against.

revstevew and pepper5 like this.
  10. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

Here in southern China, mobiles are not allowed in the primary school, but secondary students do have them.