1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Survey as to should pupils in primary schools (years 5 & 6) have mandatory online safety training?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by LeeGibbens, Mar 31, 2020.

1. LeeGibbens

LeeGibbens New commenter

As part of my Level 5 HND computing research project, I am undertaking a survey, as to what people's opinions are of whether pupils in primary schools (years 5 & 6) should have mandatory lessons, teaching them about online safety?. I would be very grateful if you could spare me some of your time, by participating and helping me gather as much data as possible to help draw a relevant conclusion to my research from. The information I collect, will be used to see what people think about primary schools teaching online safety as mandatory in the curriculum and will help enhance my own research and assist me in completing my project. At the end of my research, I can post the results if anyone wishes to see them, thank you. https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSf-BX_M9JU37MLRremOR2k-Qu3-qbm2YbeFMcfHJZxuzqHheg/viewform

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I believe they do as part of Health and Relationships education.

3. Josh7

Josh7 Occasional commenter

From the ICT National Curriculum 'should be taught to' section

KS 1
    use technology safely and respectfully, keeping personal information private; identify where to go for help and support when they have concerns about content or contact on the internet or other online technologies.

KS2
    use technology safely, respectfully and responsibly; recognise acceptable/unacceptable behaviour; identify a range of ways to report concerns about content and contact.

My opinion?

Absolutely should be taught. As we have been for years, under the previous NC too.

4. LeeGibbens

LeeGibbens New commenter

Thank you for your replies, During my literature review about online safety being taught in primary schools, I did find out about some aspects of online safety being taught as mandatory in health and relationships as stated by caterpillartobutterfly. As for other aspects of online safety being covered as mandatory, I only found evidence of guidance in regards to what and how primary schools could teach online safety, but no clear evidence of it being mandatory. So thank you Josh7 for that information, I will take that into account when evidencing my findings for my research project.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Health and Relationships curriculum is mandatory in ALL schools.
    The National Curriculum otherwise is mandatory in all La state schools and academies, but not free schools or independents.

I cannot imagine there is a school in the country that doesn't teach online safety in both KS1 and 2.