1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Surrey education ‘advisor’s’ plan for teacher recruitment.

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Mrsmumbles, Jun 30, 2018.

?

Is this an outstandingly stupid idea?

Poll closed Jul 7, 2018.
  1. Yes. Creepy idea.

9 vote(s)
    69.2%
  2. No, I love it, must stock up on my Clinton cards right now

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. Are Schools Week making him up? Does he even exist?

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Carter the unstoppable spin machine has been at it again. It’s so obvious: what teachers need to do (no, not down to the teachers at all, you buck-passing little unctoid) - is send all their former top students birthday cards, in some garishly tackle way to lure them into working at their old school. Now, trudging nepotistically back to one’s alma mater is already a shameful feature of far too many private schools. Which speaks volumes about Carter, really. But how anyone in thei right mind seriously thinks that this ruse would actually work at all is beyond me. This man is a big fish in the South Farnham pond, yet his ideas have about as much bite and relevance as Thora Hird’s dentures. Worryingly, he’s an ‘educational advisor’.
    [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

https://schoolsweek.co.uk/are-birth...e-solution-to-the-teacher-recruitment-crisis/

BetterNow, stonerose and sparkleghirl like this.
  2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

How does that fit in with data protection then?
    When in mainstream, birthdays were something only to be noted when they came in clutching a bag full of chocolate wearing an "it's my birthday" badge. You'd grunt "happy birthday" and put an extra smily face in the margin if they'd done some good work.
    Make a note of the birthday? No - creepy.
    Find out their new address at uni - ditto. Mostly, you never hear from them again!

They're a bit strange in Surrey, they vote in people like M. G**e, J H**t, C. Grayling,Philip Hammond who then wreak havoc on those of us who aren't super wealthy. I'm not sure how anyone would expect any sort of independent or comfortable lifestyle on a teacher's salary in Surrey.

FrankWolley and stonerose like this.
  3. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

As teachers we get used to hearing blx from all kinds of people this this is another kind of bonkers altogether. Was he drunk when he said this?

He can't possibly really believe it, surely? What an @r5e.

agathamorse, Mrsmumbles and stonerose like this.
  4. stonerose

stonerose Occasional commenter

From where on earth do they dig up these fossils??

(And couldn't they quietly bury them again?)

5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I'd like to quote Danny Dyer but would probably get banned!

If you did keep in touch with favourite pupils why would you wish this job onto them.

6. Mrsmumbles

Well, yes, all true. And I WORKED in that area for a few years. Met him. Taught some of the family. Which is why, perhaps, this exasperates me so much. Most of the kids I taught in this area are great and the state school I worked in did get fantastic results. Students did get into a healthy mix of universities. Very few wanted to go into teaching because the first recession was still hurting back then and as I told you, these kids were not stupid. Only one that I know of did.she is a senior school figure now, and she actually told me it was her former teacher who had inspired her by example...not a birthday card in sight! The political landscape of Surrey is getting so bad. In the nineties, it was still Tory.....I think Virginia Bottomley was the MP, but nowhere near as bad as the likes of Mike the blowfish man and Jezza. Why do people in nice areas suddenly vote in inept lunatics or support deluded CEOs like Carter? Why does he get a knighthood for being a hood junior school head, the. Feel entitled to dump on all the other hardworking teachers who get nothing but bullying, pressure and pay freezes? There’s a lot of money in Farnham, sure, but the surrounding areas are not wealthy..Aldershot, Ash, the military villages like Borden. Carter has obviously got no idea how tough it is to be a teacher now. He’s applying Toryeconomics to the retention and recruitment crisis and has the audacity to try to shunt the responsibility onto us! Er, no mate, it’s management styes like yours and ages like yours who HAVE CAUSED THIS MESS. Shut up and go back to your Frensham Ponds golf course.

7. Mrsmumbles

What...no pwitty candles and performing party clowns?!

8. Mrsmumbles

He the Lazarus man. He voodoo!

9. Mrsmumbles

Sadly, I think he thinks everything he says is amazing. He did a primary swap a few years back with a lady who worked at an underfunded primary up North, her verdict was ‘ a nice man but a bit of a plonker’, which sounds apt.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/4791133/Class-war.html
    He is no ‘mastermind of school success’ or whatever. Farnham is a nice area with nice families in the main, ergo, generally great primary results. It’s a bit like giving someone a ‘best house owner’ award because they can afford to live in Chelsea. I’m sure he worked hard too, but a bit of humility and empathy from him wouldn’t go amiss, but as MAT man, who am I kidding? I’d better cheer myself up with buying myself some Tesco birthday cake. Oh hang on, I can only afford the Basics brand of rusks...

sparkleghirl likes this.
  10. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

I was about to say that it never ceases to amaze me how many self-serving people, of such incredibly limited intelligence, end up in positions of power. But, when I think about it, I'm not really that amazed. Those of real intelligence and ability concentrate on doing a worthwhile job, and doing it well. But those like Carter, who are a total waste of space, and can't provide a useful service to mankind, devote their energies to climbing the greasy pole.

Mrsmumbles and agathamorse like this.
  11. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Established commenter

Quite apart from being creepy and stupid if implemented it would fall foul of GDPR/DPA.

Of course the Cynic in me might consider that he said this as a controversial soundbite to get some newspaper coverage, with the added attraction of being able to say that the bl***y red tape (GDPR) stopped the great idea being implemented.

agathamorse and Mrsmumbles like this.
  12. Mrsmumbles

You going to let the Guardian know or shall I?!!

agathamorse likes this.
  13. Mrsmumbles

Well sadly, my post just has been as it could be libellous! Oh dear.