1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Surreal Footage of British Life Under Nazi Occupation I Smithsonian

Discussion in 'History' started by AndrewvanZyl, Aug 29, 2019.

1. AndrewvanZyl

AndrewvanZyl Occasional commenter

Published on Aug 28, 2019
    It’s 1941 and the Nazis are in full control of the British island of Alderney. They begin to construct fortifications to protect their grip on the Channel Islands – often with slave labor.

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

It does make the point that the slave labourer's weren't Channel Islanders or British people, they were all shipped there mostly from eastern Europe, so to describe it as 'British Life under Nazi Occupation', as Smithsonian Channel does, is misleading. The entire British/Channel Islander population of Alderney was evacuated to Guernsey before the slave labourers arrived so none of the footage on Alderney was about 'British Life'

I didn't agree with their comment that the Nazi capture of the Channel Islands was a 'national humiliation' for Britain. Britain never attempted to defend the Channel Islands or prevent a German occupation because once France fell the facts of geography alone would have made it impossible to defend them. Britain had withdrawn its Channel Islands garrison before the Germans arrived. Although there were a couple of air raids first on military and port installations essentially the German occupation force just arrived in the harbour and walked in unopposed.

It's said that Churchill thought it would be a blow to national pride and wanted to defend the islands but the military chiefs talked him out of it. I don't think it even registered much on the consciousness of the wartime generation at the time.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019