1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Surprising numbers applying for primary jobs

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Oldcrofter, May 20, 2012.

1. A friend of mine on the governing body of a local primary school told me the other day that they'd had over sixty applications for each of two posts advertised recently, one of which was a temporary post to cover maternity leave.
    The school is in a typical 1960s housing estate in a typical medium-sized town of no particular distinction.
    So are these numbers of applicants becoming typical ? Most of the applications came from NQTs. Is there a serious "over-production" of trained teachers, and if so, what are the implications ?
    Incidentally, he said that it was fairly easy to cut the 65 candidates down to a fairly short short-list by eliminating the ones who made spelling and grammatical mistakes in their applications !

2. A friend of mine on the governing body of a local primary school told me the other day that they'd had over sixty applications for each of two posts advertised recently, one of which was a temporary post to cover maternity leave.
    The school is in a typical 1960s housing estate in a typical medium-sized town of no particular distinction.
    So are these numbers of applicants becoming typical ? Most of the applications came from NQTs. Is there a serious "over-production" of trained teachers, and if so, what are the implications ?
    Incidentally, he said that it was fairly easy to cut the 65 candidates down to a fairly short short-list by eliminating the ones who made spelling and grammatical mistakes in their applications !

3. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Same story where I am. I recently had applicants who qualified back in 2008 who still hadn't secured their first teaching post.

4. We always receive a lot of applications for primary posts and certain secondary posts. Supply is definately out-stripping demand at the moment.

5. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

Yes, too many teachers being trained. No, we won't see a drop in numbers of ppl applying for PGCEs as the government is still advertising that there's a shortage of teachers, and ppl entering PGCE courses are clueless about the situation. I certainly was in 2010 when I started my PGCE.

6. Waterfin

Waterfin New commenter

The local university stopped accepting students for teaching courses 2 years ago and this year's final year students are the last ones they will produce. There isn't the need for the teachers (Wales) as there are lots of people who haven't got jobs, so they are reducing the number of teachers they are training.