1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Surprising news

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Not a fan of the Windsors but on scanning the BBC news page site I learned that one of their wenches is about to have her third sprog. I'd no idea she'd already had two. Are they from a previous relationship? Given the way the media gushes over these things I would have expected to have encountered this information before now.

This particular event aside have you ever seen something surprising in the news? The general phenomenon I'm asking about is sometimes called the Mandela Effect.

2. Caoimhseach

Caoimhseach Lead commenter

You must live as a hermit.

woollani likes this.
  3. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Way behind Vince! It’s a second boy. Do keep up.

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Maybe you don't read the tabloids enough? I'm surprised anyone could have missed the acres of coverage about little Prince George in the last 5 years. I wouldn't have thought of you as someone who moves between alternative universes Vince but maybe you do and the Mandela effect is the explanation for you. You haven't been hanging around near the Large Hadron Collider have you?

I hadn't heard of the Mandela effect before but this comment might explain some of the more heated TES threads...

The idea of the Mandela effect is mostly pushed by people who like to think the whole world revolves around themselves, so obviously if they remember anything differently from others then the world must be wrong, not their memory. It's apparently easier to believe that multiple parallel realities have imploded into each other than to simply admit they made a trivial and entirely unimportant mistake. Occam's razor again applies, of course

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  5. Vince_Ulam

I don't wish to wear myself out.

6. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Well done, Kate - an heir AND a spare! Congratulations to the Windsor family.

7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I didn't know she was pregnant... only found out this morning when the news on the radio said she was going into hospital.

I am struggling to care. Ah another human being, because we needed one of them.

Obviously happy for them as parents and stuff... just not that fussed.

8. Vince_Ulam

George, now that rings a bell. I'd somehow never attached him to any particular parents. All that media-googooing, he could have belonged Posh & Becks for all I knew.

After what it did to Brian Cox? You have to be joking.

Rott Weiler likes this.
  9. Caoimhseach

Caoimhseach Lead commenter

There is a spare already, Princess Charlotte.

10. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I'd sooner have Willian as next king that Charlie boy..I think he wil help to destroy the monarchy. That should please all the anti monacherists

11. Vince_Ulam

We are a monarchy? I am sure I would have remembered that.

12. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

No longer; girls can inherit ahead of boys.

woollani likes this.
  13. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

The joy of irony - being wilfully misunderstood.

14. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

An American actress as head of the Commonwealth and a Chelsea footballer as next king?

15. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

King Charles and Queen Camilla will be perfectly okay.

16. Jamvic

Jamvic Senior commenter

This could be the explanation behind the actions of those academics and documentary presenters who periodically alter the pronunciation of historical places or names. Then a couple of years later, just as randomly, change them back again.

A fitting example for this thread would be the ever fluctuating pronunciation of Queen BOADICEA (Bow-Diss-Ee-Ah) or BOUDICCA (Boo-Dik-Ah).

Of course Auntie Beeb has a department to avoid this potential Mandellian effect. They employ an pronunciation unit, a small group of dedicated orthoepists (professional pronouncers) who spend their working lives getting to grips with illogical pronunciations so that broadcasters don't have to do it on the air.

Oh... congrats Kate & Will. x

17. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

[​IMG]

18. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I prefer your memes about cats.

19. Vince_Ulam

lanokia likes this.
  20. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter