1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Surely there are some good schools...

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by liberty, May 3, 2016.

1. liberty

liberty New commenter

I made the mistake of subscribing to ISR. Every school I've looked at - every single one!- has terrible reviews. I know that by the nature of the site they are going to be mainly negative, and many reviews are years old, but once they're read they can't be unread! I'm beginning to think there are no international schools where people are happy to work.....

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Established commenter

Personally i think you should take ISR with a very big pinch of salt. I have worked at schools, and worked with admin that have been ripped apart on there, and i can honestly say their "reviews" were completely unfounded. I am sure that some are totally true, but when you have been on the circuit for long enough, you will build a network of people that will cover most of the world, and you wont ever have to read it again (unless you want a laugh). You will know someone, or someone that knows someone that knows the truth.
    Every recruitment season i find myself answering more and more emails about schools, admin, or possible recruits (yes this really does go on, and can really make the difference to people getting a job). The international circuit is a VERY small place.

Owen134866 and zdaea like this.
  3. mikemcdonald25

mikemcdonald25 Occasional commenter

Absolutely revans66!

4. liberty

liberty New commenter

Great!! That's exactly what i needed to hear! Thank you!

5. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

Yes, liberty, it would be a big mistake to think that there are no good schools, but perhaps it would be an even bigger mistake to think that all of those dreadful schools reviewed on the ISR are now wonderful places in which to be a teacher. (For example, my sources of information have told me that the rotten apple schools in Doha have not improved significantly.) Just because an ISR review is a few years old does not mean that the schools have miraculously changed for the better. The same people are, most probably, still in charge. The owners are still making money and so characters like Madam A*** in Qatar are not really going to change anything.

liberty likes this.
  6. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

Ha sip ha sip as we say here in Thailand. 50/50. I have both written and read reviews on ISR. I like to think that the ones I wrote were objective and insightful whilst I have read some about schools and people that I know which were wildly inaccurate or used one incident to paint the school in a very strange light. I think that, as has been said above, there is no substitute for first hand knowledge which you will either get through working at a place or speaking to someone who works at the place. A lot of schools have lists of staff on their webpage who one can contact regarding the school, it is also in a schools interest to employ staff who will stay for a while and make a difference.
    As the Hippo points out though, if there are 20 reviews and all are bad or say the same thing then they are probably telling the truth. the best ones are always 20 dire reports followed by one superb one written in bad English, normally by the owner or license holder.

22 days.........

Perce

7. MalcolmC

MalcolmC New commenter

As a - cough cough - first time contributor: there are no good schools on the circuit. There are multiple tiers based on taking the Polo International Index of School Criteria.

8. the hippo

Polo? Or maybe Trebor Mints?

9. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

Uncle Joe's Mint Balls, of course. Nice to see you, MM.

10. miketribe

miketribe Occasional commenter

Well done, Captain! I see you made it to the giddy heights of "Occasional commenter". Is "commenter" even a real word?

11. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

It's not in my personal dictionary. ¿Pero quién soy yo?

12. miketribe

miketribe Occasional commenter

Eres el capitan, no un marinero...

13. mikemcdonald25

mikemcdonald25 Occasional commenter

Richie Valens lives!

14. the hippo

Oh dear. This thread does seem to have wandered off into silliness. Maybe it is my fault. Anyway, there ARE some great schools out there, folks, but you have to look for them. That is why staying in touch with other international teachers is so important.

15. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

Our work here is done Hippo. Let it pass.

16. WOMANONAMISSION50

WOMANONAMISSION50 New commenter

17. the hippo

Let is pass, Percy old fellow? Well, hippos have to munch through rather a lot of vegetation in order to maintain their elegant and rounded shapes. So yes, quite a lot gets passed.

18. Fer888

Fer888 Occasional commenter

I think ISR can be useful- if only just to raise some awareness of what "might" have gone on at a particular school. However it should always be noted that staff are much more likely to write a critical review than write a positive one. As other people have said your best bet is always to talk to some of the other teachers there or to any of your colleagues who may have taught either in the country or at that particular school.

19. the hippo

Yes, stressedhead, some reviewers do use the ISR as a sort of "safety valve". Some of the reviews are so biased and one-sided that they are a bit ridiculous.

dumbbells66 likes this.
  20. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Established commenter

its always good for a laugh....especially when they are ripping someone you know :)